Quick question Regarding Marineland Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gallon and I'm running a Marineland Power Filter Penguin 350. It has dual bio wheels and 2 filter cartridges. My question is this. The filter has the option to run 2 more filter cartridges so that would be 4 all together. I'm calling them filter cartridges because that's what there calling them. They have that activated carbon in them. Anyway... The filter is for a tank up to 70 gallons and flows 350 gallons an hour. Would adding an additional filter or 2 be beneficial or just a waste?

I wanna get the best out my filter. Also I'm using the mid level intake as well. Are there any pros cons?

I'm new to this hobby but do A LOT of reading and research and this site has helped me out greatly already.

So I would like to hear your input please.

I added a 3rd filter cartridge so now I'm running 2 bio wheels and 3 filter cartridges.

Thanks in advance.

go ahead and add the optional filters
the downside to these is the filter cartridges are expensive over time
you do also have a power jet in your tank, correct?

Filtering Your Tank

Hello Con...

If you're willing to change at least half the water in your tank every week, a single filter with a gph 6 times the the volume of your tank is all you need. So, just do the math and if your current power filter is up to those specs, then you're fine.

I have several large tanks and change a minimum of half the water in them every week and actually use a power filter a bit smaller than recommended. I use them more more for gas exchange to get oxygen into the water than I do for filtering the water.

Here's the reason behind my madness. If you flush large quantities of clean water through your tank, the only thing the filter is doing is filtering clean water. It just doesn't seem cost effective to have multiple filters if you're changing large amounts of tank water regularly.

As always, just one old "waterkeeper's" opinion.

B

potatochobit said:
go ahead and add the optional filters
the downside to these is the filter cartridges are expensive over time
you do also have a power jet in your tank, correct?

Power jet? I'm a newbie and haven't been told to add one nor has anyone recommended one to me although my LFS was willing to offer everything under the sun except this power jet you mentioned. Researching now.

Looked them up, there is a huge selection of power heads, power jets. I wouldn't even know where to start! If it would benefit my fish and tank I will pick one up today. Also will this help with keeping the tank clean? What are the benefits of using one?

So.... Is one needed, recommended or personal preference? My filter now since its for a 70 and I have a 55 it makes a nice wave like appearance on top.

what kind of fish do you have?
schooling fish prefer a small current
most of them natively live in rivers and streams
if you have gouramis and plattys they wont care too much
if your tank is heavily planted with tall plants you may not want a power jet
having a current helps move debris on the bottom, but regular maintenance is still required
if you are using an undergravel filter you do need a power jet
your filter helps with air but we are not trying to break the surface tension, mainly we want water to circulate throughout the tank
most power jets come with an aerator in case you want to add bubbles though
keep in mind, if you have small otoniculous' or little plecos you need to add a sponge to the intake side

Power heads are not required. Some people use them for extra current in dead spots or just to get the junk off the substrate so the filter can pick it up.

I have a 55 gallon bow front and I have Cichlid's, Convicts and 2 newly added FireMouths. I'm looking into these power jets and air stones. In some tanks they look really nice. Not sure where I'd put one or how I'd set it up. Here's a full shot of my tank.

View attachment 57419

How would convicts respond to added current? I have several books on South American convicts as I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Seems like bigger tanks they recommend them but for a 55 they (what I've read) mostly say its for appearance with some minor added benefit. Not sure what to do...

Bottom line I guess is this... Will it improve quality of life for my cichlids?

Back
Top Bottom