Quick Question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenphantom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I was forced to do a 100% water change due to a leak I have a 120 gallon tank and since the big change which was this last saturday all my tests are great 0s on everything the P.H. is between 7.2 and 7.6 so everything is good except now both of my filters are plugged I have an aquaclear 110 hob and a magnum 350 canister the aquaclear basket is floating and the canister is visibly plugged I am worried if I clean them I will start a mini cycle or worse my tank crashes lemme no what you think I should do about these filthy filters. No I didnt neglect my filters but had a large leak and had to tear the tank down for a week and did not want to loose anymore beneficial bacteria so I did not clean the filters or decor when it leaked so.....

Greenphantom said:
Ok I was forced to do a 100% water change due to a leak I have a 120 gallon tank and since the big change which was this last saturday all my tests are great 0s on everything the P.H. is between 7.2 and 7.6 so everything is good except now both of my filters are plugged I have an aquaclear 110 hob and a magnum 350 canister the aquaclear basket is floating and the canister is visibly plugged I am worried if I clean them I will start a mini cycle or worse my tank crashes lemme no what you think I should do about these filthy filters. No I didnt neglect my filters but had a large leak and had to tear the tank down for a week and did not want to loose anymore beneficial bacteria so I did not clean the filters or decor when it leaked so.....

The leak really took place on thursday and I set everything back up Saturday night I would have just cleaned everything and started from scratch but my fish were in a 40 gallon tote larger fish too so I was between a rock and a hard place

I'm not familiar with your filters, but...

The Aquaclear basket is floating? Is the media above the waterline? If it is, that in and of itself will negatively impact the bacterial colony. If gently cleaning the filter in tank water will get the basket to seat properly below the waterline, then that's what I'd do.

For the canister, how badly plugged is it? If the flow is severely restricted, it probably isn't giving you much filtration either way, bacteria or no bacteria. Given that, were it me, I'd risk gently cleaning it in tank water.

You may get a mini-cycle either way as your colonies may already be impacted, but if the filters aren't functioning properly, I'd personally risk cleaning them so that they do function properly.

Good luck!

I personally would attempt to clean them one at a time. and maybe a week in between cleanings. But I also agree if you aren't getting any flow from the canister you should clean that immediately.

I did it last night havent turned the light on yet today I ll let u guys know how it looks and what its testing

Back
Top Bottom