Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinemammalover

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am cycling my twenty gallon tank with six zebra danios and I used a bacteria starter called microbe-lift and it says to put a dose of it in on the first day which I did.... But it also says to put a dose in on the 8th day. Today is the 8th day and I don't know if I should put it in it not... My ammonia levels just started to rise today. They are at 0.25 and I don't know if I should add the dose... I don't want to mess with my tank too much. Any opinions would be great! Thanks!

Honestly ... I'd say ditch those bacterial starter cultures. This issue has been hotly debated ... but word is the bacteria used in some of the brands are not "true" beneficial bacteria that actually outcompete the bacteria you need. Without constant replishment, they die out leaving you with a nasty cycle. Plenty of members that had their BB crash on them a few months down the road.

The better way to get your bacteria colony going is getting filter media ... or even substrate, DW or rocks from an established tank to seed yours .... if you can get it.

That's IMO.

jcolon said:
Honestly ... I'd say ditch those bacterial starter cultures. This issue has been hotly debated ... but word is the bacteria used in some of the brands are not "true" beneficial bacteria that actually outcompete the bacteria you need. Without constant replishment, they die out leaving you with a nasty cycle. Plenty of members that had their BB crash on them a few months down the road.

The better way to get your bacteria colony going is getting filter media ... or even substrate, DW or rocks from an established tank to seed yours .... if you can get it.

That's IMO.

I don't know anyone who has an established tank . So getting filter media isn't an option. But thanks I heard too about the starter cultures out competing the good bacteria, of course after I had already added it to the tank! That's why I hesitated. Thanks I'll definitely won't add it to the tank. :)

No worries ... Z. Danios are fairly hardy fish to cycle with and I'm certain one bottle's not enough to start an unstable colony. If you have a trusted LFS ... maybe they can give you some substrate? Just enough to put in a media bag and stuff in the filter.

There are some brands that supposedly have the correct bacterial cultures and members had success with ..but I don't remember the brand.

jcolon said:
No worries ... Z. Danios are fairly hardy fish to cycle with and I'm certain one bottle's not enough to start an unstable colony. If you have a trusted LFS ... maybe they can give you some substrate? Just enough to put in a media bag and stuff in the filter.

There are some brands that supposedly have the correct bacterial cultures and members had success with ..but I don't remember the brand.

Tetra Safe Start has worked for me many times

Jconner3 said:
Tetra Safe Start has worked for me many times

Ok thanks guys I'll do a little research and see... I might use one of the starters or just leave it alone. Thanks for all your help!

Fish In Tank Cycling

So I am cycling my twenty gallon tank with six zebra danios and I used a bacteria starter called microbe-lift and it says to put a dose of it in on the first day which I did.... But it also says to put a dose in on the 8th day. Today is the 8th day and I don't know if I should put it in it not... My ammonia levels just started to rise today. They are at 0.25 and I don't know if I should add the dose... I don't want to mess with my tank too much. Any opinions would be great! Thanks!

Hello Marine...

The cycling process takes time, so patience is most important. Briefly, you have a trace of ammonia in the tank water, so you must remove and replace 25 to 30 percent of the water to get the chemistry back into the "safe zone" for your fish.

This is how the cycling process works: Fish go into the tank and their waster starts the cycling process. You test the tank water daily and when your test shows a trace of ammonia or nitrites in the water you do a water change. When several tests read "0" for the two pollutants, you can safely add a few more small fish. Test daily and change the water when needed, until the tank is fully stocked. The process can take several weeks.

B

Back
Top Bottom