R/O before or after softener?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

land locked

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have had our r/o system hooked up before the softener for a while now but it is on the other side of the house from our fish room and tank (tired of hauling water). So we want to move it closer but the only water faucets on that side of the house are after the water softener. Do you think that the r/o will be hurt by it, or will it influence the performance? Bottom line, is it ok to run the r/o system after water softener?:scatter:

I have my RO/DI under the kitchen sink, waaaay past my water softener. You can also look at faucet adapters that fit on your sink....

I did go get a faucet adapter to hook it up to the utility sink we have in the fish room, thanks. You don't have any problems with the softener though? Water chemistry issues? Maybe I am worrying for nothing and it will actually help the filtration process.

You are supposed to run the water softener before the ro unit, which it sounds like you are doing.
City/tap/well -> water softener -> ro unit

Last edited:
Yeah, my water softener is right next to where the well comes into the house. No issues here.

I had read that the soft water is actually good on the membrane and helps extend the life of it.

I added a softener about 3 months ago so I have no real world experience though.

Thanks for all your comments, it calmed my anxiety. I have moved the r/o into the fish room. My back thanks you all.

Back
Top Bottom