Raccoon Butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a question about my new raccoon butterfly. I have had him about a week and notice he doesn't sleep at night. All my other fish go down when the lights go off. He just swims around just like he would during the day. Is this normal?

I don't have one, but he might still be trying to find his spot.
Is he eating?

I`ve seen mine still swim around while I `m still awake but I`m sure he is sleeping while you are sleeping. When I wake up they are awake already so I never see them sleep but I know they are.

He doesn't eat when I feed. All the other fish eat. He just kind of picks at the rocks. I see him finding food in the rocks.

Do you soak their food in garlic? This helps, both their immune systems and to entice them into eating.

I soak my frozen in garlic extreme/Selcon/Zoe. The last two are just extra nutrience. I would try the garlic, to try to get him to eat. I soak mine for about 15-30 minutes.

roka64 said:
I soak my frozen in garlic extreme/Selcon/Zoe. The last two are just extra nutrience. I would try the garlic, to try to get him to eat. I soak mine for about 15-30 minutes.

DOn't mean to hijack the thread here :lol: , but what kind of garlic do you use?? just regular super market chopped garlic ?? or special "fish" garlic??

If you go to a health food store, you'll find oderless garlic liquid.

Generally it is used to make your own gelcaps for human supp. Don't be fooled, it still reeks very strongly of garlic despite the "oderless" moniker. LOL

You can also buy it from an OFS or LFS. But I feel you get more for your money going the health food store route.

Some people sqweeze their own fresh garlic. I just bought mine online, with the other supplies I needed. THe health store route might work. Just be careful, I add only 2 drops for my 55G.

Hopefully you`ll be able to get him to eat as their have been people who have not been able to do this and they end up dying. If the garlic does not work right away I would end up buying some more pieces of LR for him to nip off of till he does start eating. Since you`ve only had a week you probably have some time. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom