rain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

child

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
er idk if its a good idea but if its raining here can i just turn off my pump? will the rain be enough to aerate the pond? i dont have much in there; two goldfish and maybe a dozen minnows? in a 35 gallon pond. its shallow so the surface area is decent for its size

oh crap everything is floating at the surface and dead. well at least now i know i had 11 minnows not 12

so you're saying that in the 30 minutes between you asking the question and posting the reply that said everything was dead, you decided to turn off the filter, and all your fish died? Theres something bad wrong with that... turning off a filter for less than 30 minutes will not kill fish...

no i turned it off before, but i was kidding i just needed a response. and i turn it off cuz i dont want the pumps to short circuit or something. sorry about that

but the rain doesn't look to clean either, it has a bunch of sand or some small particles in it too

Last edited by a moderator:
child said:
my dolphin just died

Lol lol lol lol I don't know anything about ponds but I read this because it was in the current forums/topics or whatever section on the app. Sorry your bot getting responses but that's hilarious:D

LOL!!! Seriously, though, i wouldnt bother with turning anything off. If its an appropriate outdoor setup, its not going to 'short circuit'! Turning it off would prevent your bacteria from getting a constant supply of running water and oxygen and you are risking them dying off (then you will have a big mess!!!).

i had some extra goldfish and stuck them in there without a pump, somehow theyre still alive and they seem content enough, i think ill just keep them there. thanks though

I have a 120 gallon plastic, underground pond, and I have not filtration or aeration. Goldfish are basically carp and my pond gets extra nasty and I have never had any problems with them dying off. As a matter of fact they have quadrupled their size in the 6months a year they are out there. I would keep them out there all winter but I have no heater or aerator to keep the water from freezing. I don't think I have ever cycled my pond because I didn't know what that was until a couple months ago. So I don't know and I am not an expert but this was the 3rd summer I have put my goldfish out in the pond and haven't had any die off from actually being in the pond.

sweet, how deep is ur pond and how cold does it get where u live? and do u clean it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom