Rainbow Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caribou

Aquarium Advice Freak
:?: I'm getting ready to restock an established 90 gal tank and I'm looking at a variety of rainbow fish. Can anyone share any experiences they've had with these fish, ph, water hardness, food ?

They are very active, and colorful. I have 3 in a 26G. They eat just about anything, flake food, bloodworms, peas, freeze-dried plankton, brine shrimp, and more. Mine really likes the freeze-dried plankton. My tank has a ph of about 7.2-7.4, kh is 60, gh is 100. I have driftwood in the tank, completely covered in java moss. they share the tank with cardinal tetras, rasboras, glowlites, cory cats, and cherry barbs. A very fun fish to watch.

I have 2 Bosemani's in my 35G tank. They're very active and I just love the color variation. They were a bit fussy about food for awhile and still tend not to take flakes but will take them in the evening if flakes were also offered as the only food in the morning.
My pH is 8.4 and my GH and KH are high (hard water) and these two guys do great. The tank is moderately planted. They tend to hang out with my congo tetras to form a lose shoal with them.

I've got Melanotaenia praecox in two of my tanks.
They are a dwarf rainbow with nice colors when they mature.
My PH ranges from 6.3 to 7.5 and I've got hard water.
The Pracox eagerly eat everything I've ever tried to feed them from flake food to live blackworms.
003.jpg

The two I inhereted really love frozen brine shrimp and will eat flakes if that's all I'm offering. I'm still pretty new to them too. Good luck :-D

I have:
boesemani, red irianjaya, dwarf, goyder river, jewel, madagascar, and celebes.

They love any food that I put in there (see aforementioned foods), and love a current - I swear, they all try to outcompete each other for current. They are amazing fish, and everytime I go to the store I am tempted to get more... :)

I inherited 1 ( other was lost to an Oscar ) and he is great loves currents and will play in the flow from the filter . Haven't had any problems so far - and will get a companion for him when I get a bigger tank.

Attachments

• pic_003_113.jpg
    pic_003_113.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 34
Thanks to all for your feedback. I think I can provide all of the conditions that they require.

Here is a pic of the common Australian rainbowfish:

Picture_013.JPG

Will eat anything. Feed mine flake food, FD tubiflex, FD bloodworms, live crikets, live bloodworms, earthworms, FD brine shrimp, FD shrimp, flies, grasshopers, spiders, raw shrimp, raw fish, frozen bloodworms, frozen beefheart, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp, carnivore pellets, shrimp pellets, super soft pellets, fresh vegs, frozen vegs, ect. pretty much they eat everything I have. They love all bugs! Buy some crickets some time and you will see what I mean. (just make sure the lids are closed!)

Back
Top Bottom