Rainbow shark not doing well!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amccoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm so worried about my rainbow shark. I've had it for a few months now, and it has done very well until now. I'm thinking it could be ick or cotton mouth. There's a white, salt like substance around its nose/mouth area, it's fins are turning white around the edges, and it's just not acting normal. Not eating and hanging out around the heater instead of hiding from me. It was fine this morning, and I did a water 10% water change today. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 20150403_220931.jpg
    20150403_220931.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20150403_220921.jpg
    20150403_220921.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 174
He's pretty!
What are the water parameters, and what size tank is he in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! He's my favorite! 29 gal tank. I actually ran out of test strips the last time I tested and apparently didn't realize it, but I'm getting more first thing in the morning. Ammonia levels are good. Temperature is 79.

Thanks! He's my favorite! 29 gal tank. I actually ran out of test strips the last time I tested and apparently didn't realize it, but I'm getting more first thing in the morning. Ammonia levels are good. Temperature is 79.

Look into a API liquid test kit. The strips are not very accurate.

One angel fish and 4 tiger barbs (I know, fin nippers. But they all actually get along very well).

We had a couple more fish, but a baby tiger barb that was injured from the pet store I think, recently passed away, and we had to find a good home for our other angel fish. He was bullying our smaller black angel fish badly.

I checked the water this morning. Everything looked okay, except the kh and ph were a little low. I addressed that issue. Unfortunately, we lost our beloved rainbow shark today. ? He had what I'm assuming is ich pretty badly. The other fish are starting to get it, but I bought treatment and hopefully it saves the others.

I checked the water this morning. Everything looked okay, except the kh and ph were a little low. I addressed that issue. Unfortunately, we lost our beloved rainbow shark today. [emoji24] He had what I'm assuming is ich pretty badly. The other fish are starting to get it, but I bought treatment and hopefully it saves the others.

What did you do to address the ph/KH?
A stable ph is better then a "trying to be perfect" ph as long as you avoid extremes

It does look like ich, the best treatment is heat, bump the tank up to 86° slowly and add aquarium salt to the recommended dosing, I don't remember it off the top of my head.. the medications seem hit or miss, I would treat with heat. Sorry for your loss but get on it quick or you will lose more.

It does look like ich, the best treatment is heat, bump the tank up to 86° slowly and add aquarium salt to the recommended dosing, I don't remember it off the top of my head.. the medications seem hit or miss, I would treat with heat. Sorry for your loss but get on it quick or you will lose more.

Thanks for the help! I had bumped the temp up a little but not that high. I was addressing the kh this morning. It was too far below normal range. I slowly added a small amount of bicarbonate mixed with water as suggested on another page. All parameters are looking great now. I'll look into the aquarium salt for dosage. Thanks again! I really don't want to lose our angel fish.

Update. I haven't went back out for the aquarium salts yet. Mostly because after one dose of the treatment, they seem to be doing so much better already! All of the gunk that was starting to show up on the angel fish is gone and they are all acting much better. One question... do I leave the carbon out of the filter for the entire course of the treatment?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom