Rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish56

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My shark has these white patches on its back and sides and he is scratching them against rock what should I do

Attachments

• image-1472953228.jpg
    image-1472953228.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 74
It is hard to tell from the photo, does it look like small grains of salt? If so it is most likely ich.

not the best camera on my iPod it's not a grain it is basically patches of white

What size tank is it in?

What are your water parameters? (Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, temperature)

Are there any other tank mates?

Angelfish56 said:
not the best camera on my iPod it's not a grain it is basically patches of white

It could be another parasite. He sounds like he's scratching himself and rubbing himself raw.

Agreed that it could be another parasite. Flashing could also be a result of the size tank the fish is in, or poor water conditions.

He's a baby in 14 going to a 75 soon other fish 4 angelfish 2 Cory catfish 4 ghost shrimp 1 bristle nose pleco all the fish are babies they need to get a little bigger before they go to the 75 also he had a few spots when i got him but getting more of them water Is fine except nitrate is 20

He's a baby in 14 going to a 75 soon other fish 4 angelfish 2 Cory catfish 4 ghost shrimp 1 bristle nose pleco all the fish are babies they need to get a little bigger before they go to the 75 also he had a few spots when i got him but getting more of them water Is fine except nitrate is 20

You are way overstocked, even if they are not fully grown fish. You have very territorial fish fighting over not much territory... What is "fine" for your water parameters? Actual readings in ppm?
The rainbow shark is probably stressed, and is suffering from some sort of parasite like sporozoa. The cure is good clean water. Is the 75 ready to go? Are you cycling it? At the least, I would quarantine the affected fish so that it doesn't spread.

Ammonia 0 nitrate 20 nitrite 0 hardness 75 alkalinity 180 ph 7.2

How close is it? I would try and move all but the shark over asap. This would make it easier to medicate the tank if it is necessary as well.

Started a week ago so its not close I do have a 5 gallon would that work or not

well, you have an established filter on your 14 gallon tank, so you ought be able to almost instantly cycle the 75. Just move all but the rainbow shark over to the 75, and move about 80-90% of your filter media over to the 75g filter.

Just take out the filter media on the 15, put it and some established gravel into a clean pantyhose, and wella!

Back
Top Bottom