Rainbows for my 20g long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That Fish kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
My current stocking is a breeding pair of German blue rams and 4 Sterbai(for now),6 Kuhli loaches.
I am running a canister rated for 30g, and the tanks moderately to heavily planted.

I am considering either Praecox rainbows or threadfin, rainbows,but those are the only ones I know of that could work. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Is this doable with my stock list?

I'd do threadfins :) There is a dwarf 'blue eye' rainbow, those might work, but I haven't looked into them so I am not sure.

Personally I feel that the praecox rainbows need a bit more swimming room than a 20L, although many might argue otherwise. Another really pretty rainbowfish that would work are furcata (forktail) rainbowfish. The males are quite stunning. I also like spotted blue eyes, although they're pretty small and skittish so I keep mine in a species tank.

I'd completely forgot about furcata rainbows! They are very beautiful! Decisions,decisions...
I'm not sure which one yet but approximately how many could I have in this tank?

You could easily do 10 or so, something like 3-4 males and 7-8 females.

Edit: On second thought, maybe some like 2-3 males and 6-7 females might be better. Not a huge difference though.

azmodan said:
You could easily do 10 or so, something like 3-4 males and 7-8 females.

Edit: On second thought, maybe some like 2-3 males and 6-7 females might be better. Not a huge difference though.

Wow that's perfect! I am leaning towards the Threadfins just because they seem to be more popular.

If you get rid of the corys then you can get 3 or 4 rainbows. I wouldn't put too much more in the tank with the way it is stocked now.

Sorry, I know it's not the thread, but I am interested in getting another ram to breed with my current one. What do you do to get them to spawn?

NYgiantsRP said:
After reading your post again it looks like you don't have the rams now...haha...sorry

I still have my rams. They are doing extremely well!

They breed probably every two weeks or so.
Make sure you know the sex of your current ram and get the opposite sex(obviously). They may not take to each other at all. If you see that they swim near each other quite a bit and the female is getting plump these are signs of breeding. Another thing to look for is the females
Egg-tube which is a yellowish/whitish protrusion in the lower region of the fish.

Once you see all these signs then increase the temp to about 82-84degrees. Provide them with flat surfaces such as slate and terra cotta pots.
Oh and I highly recommend feeding blood worms and quality flake food to induce spawning. Good luck!

Thanks, I need a better heater, mine only keeps the water at 76. It's for a ten gallon, but in a twenty gallon, but its all I had and it workers. If I need it to get up to 86 I will have to get a new heater, and slowly turn the heat up. Hmmm, always have to spend more money in this hobby!

NYgiantsRP said:
Thanks, I need a better heater, mine only keeps the water at 76. It's for a ten gallon, but in a twenty gallon, but its all I had and it workers. If I need it to get up to 86 I will have to get a new heater, and slowly turn the heat up. Hmmm, always have to spend more money in this hobby!

Don't worry to much about the temp for now. I keep my temp at 78 degrees until my rams show signs of breeding.

Back
Top Bottom