Raising water hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning to start a freshwater tank (somewhere around 160 liters/ 40 gallons), for mainly live bearers (platy). I found out some information about the tap water quality in my town, and the pH seems ideal, 7,9, but the total hardness is very low, about 2 dH. My question is, what would be the best way of raising the hardness level to at least moderate without messing up the pH level? I've read that you shouldn't pay too much attention to water hardness when just starting out, but I've had a tank some years ago, and have a decent level of experience already. However, I've never quite figured out how to alter the water quality and make it stable, too. I'd like to provide the best possible environment for my fish. The last time I got frustrated with the problems I ran into after starting out with less than ideal conditions.

No I don't. However, I already got some advice on the hardness issue elsewhere, so I think I'm set, and know what to do now :) Thanks, anyway :D (I'm going to put some crushed coral in my filter, and if that doesn't work, I'll probably just add sodium bicarbonate in the water. However, people with more experience than me said that the crushed coral should work fine :) )

Remember it is not advisible to increase the hardness more then 1 dKh per day.

Hmm, the speed might be a bit hard to control with the crushed coral, tho. It's supposed to change fairly slowly that way, tho, anyway. However, I'm planning to raise the hardness to the maintenance level before introducing the fish.

You should be in fine shape then going that route; my only suggestion is to add the crushed coral in stages and give it a little time between adding, so you know how much you will need without raising levels to high and having to play with water changes to get to your goal.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice :) I will add the crushed coral a bit at a time, and see how it goes :)

Back
Top Bottom