Ram and Gourami... Good mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sly_Fra

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

got a 33 Gallon, very well planted, DIY Jello-CO2, 120 Watts light. pH typically around 6.8 (yet my tap is at 7.6, so when I do water changes, it tends to go up for a while then back to the stable 6.8).

Got 10-ish Tetra Cardinals and 2 couples of Honey Gouramis as well as 8 yamato shrimps.

Simple question... can I add a Blue Ram in there? Water and behavior compatibility issues?

Also, can I put only a male, or I am better to put a couple? Breeding not my thing, and I certainly don't want to over-populate, so if a male alone would be happy and healthy, that would be my 1st choice. But I don't know much about Rams...

If you all tell me it is compatible and OK, any special care this fish needs...?

Thanks

A ram, maybe even a pair would be ok IMO. Other apistos as well.

Thanks guys,

That tank is around 5 months old. Will a solo Ram be happy, or he needs a friend (2 males for example)?

Rams are not good solo, they do pair off but they also have a structured pecking order like nearly all fish.

Id add more females then two solo males, I have 1 male to 4 female GBR's right now and this seems to be a peaceful amount.

What blue ram are you getting a german blue or electric blue? Ive noticed that the EB's are slightly more aggressive then any of the dwarfs I keep and arent hesitant to put a beating down on other fish, however gourami's are mainly top water fish where rams are mostly bottom to mid level fish. As long as the Gourami doesnt pee in the rams wheaties itll be fine.

2 males of any cichlid in a small tank is a bad idea. Even if there is no mate, during breeding season they will start fighting each other. I think for rams Male + Multiple females won't work when breeding starts either. Best to get just one male or a MF pair. Although I've never heard of them getting aggressive enough to start killing each other. Just the usual flaring and circling.

2 males of any cichlid in a small tank is a bad idea. Even if there is no mate, during breeding season they will start fighting each other. I think for rams Male + Multiple females won't work when breeding starts either. Best to get just one male or a MF pair. Although I've never heard of them getting aggressive enough to start killing each other. Just the usual flaring and circling.

It does work, they are monogomous as you already know but having females rather then males creates a more calm environment. I lost a few males had the 1:1 ratio (in a 210g tank mind you) I had a dozen golds and GBR's the GBR males killed eachother in that large tank. I moved the last female GBR to a 52g tank with a pair of GBR's another lone female and a male bolivian. There is zero hostility, infact this morning they were all swimming together and still are.

The trick is to have a dominate pair to begin with, the females are more laid back then the males Ive noticed as far as temperment goes.

I am speaking from my own experiences with these guys. I do breed them and have a habit of constantly making sure everyone is getting along. I do have the luxury of multiple tanks to seperate if need be but I havnt had to do that yet after the males picked themselves off.

Thanks for all the advices.

Unfortunatly my tank is not that large. I have space for 1 or 2. Should I go Solo Male, 2 males, or M+F (and hope they form a couple), or none of the above...?

In your tank, I'd recommend adding a pair. Female rams (and other apistos) are, IME, more brutal than males. I've had several females kill their males post-spawn. Never the other way around. In a heavily planted tank, she'll kick him to the other side of the tank for awhile and hopefully let him back to defend the wigglers. Just like people, the quality of parenting skills vary and it may take a few spawns for a juvinile pair to get it right.

It does work, they are monogomous as you already know but having females rather then males creates a more calm environment. I lost a few males had the 1:1 ratio (in a 210g tank mind you) I had a dozen golds and GBR's the GBR males killed eachother in that large tank. I moved the last female GBR to a 52g tank with a pair of GBR's another lone female and a male bolivian. There is zero hostility, infact this morning they were all swimming together and still are.

The trick is to have a dominate pair to begin with, the females are more laid back then the males Ive noticed as far as temperment goes.

I am speaking from my own experiences with these guys. I do breed them and have a habit of constantly making sure everyone is getting along. I do have the luxury of multiple tanks to seperate if need be but I havnt had to do that yet after the males picked themselves off.

Well the more you know! Do you have any captive rams up for sale? The ones here come from Asia. And I don't trust them with all the hormone injecting they do.

Back
Top Bottom