Ram in qt - calm or something wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New bolivian ram in quarantine for about a week now. I haven't seen him eat at all. Swims in place most of the time, periodically turning or going to the other side of the tank. Quarantine tank mate (a male Platy) is very active and eats.

The first day he was in quarantine he was pretty active, testing the boundaries of the tank but now, nothing....I can't tell if he is just chilling out or something is wrong. Almost a week of not eating as far as I can tell.

Tank is 0-.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-10 nitrates. 77-78 degrees.

Wondering if he would do better or be more active if I moved him to the main tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20201009_154748.jpg
    IMG_20201009_154748.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 29
Only going to be able to address your general fish behavior. Do you use medication in your qt tank? Often, i see fish in one of my qt tanks hiding all the time, skittish when I approach and never see them eat. Then, when placed in the show tank, they become active, compete for food, and quit hiding so much. Even big fish. I recently went thru this exact behavior with an 8" Gold Saum

Thanks. I decided against using meds preemptively instead keeping a close eye on them to see if anything becomes noticeable. I know there's a lot of disagreement on using preventive meds or not in a qt.

Yeah, it's def 2 camps. No meds is better for the fish in general unless it's sick. But anyway, I see the hiding and barely eating thing alot in my qt tanks. Seems like every time when they get out and around other fish their whole demeanor changes. I wouldn't worry about it

I am concerned about the ammonia and nitrate parameters. Rams like ultra clean water. What is your cleaning like? Are there plants and substrate in the tank? Plants would help with the parameters. Even floating plants would be welcomed.

Thanks for the reply. Ammonia is consistently 0 now. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of a mild nitrite spike, test every day at .25ppm.

I've cut back on feeding a bit and dosing with Prime every 2-3 days to detoxify the nitrite (if it works as it says it does). Also do 1-2 water changes every week, using Prime on the new water.

All five fish (3 platies, 1 swordtail, 1 bolivian) and 3 amano all seem to be doing well: eating, exploring, being bossed around by one of the platies (nothing bad).

No real plants unfortunately just a lot of fake ones. Gravel substrate that the Bolivian seems to enjoy picking through.

Hi

What kind of substrate is in the tank? If you are having problems with water nitrate live plants help out alot. Fake ones don't do anything. What kind of lighting are you using? If not strong I suggest floating plants. It seems to grow anywhere. If you can't find floating plants at your fish shop. Buy them on line. Some big box pet shop might have them. :cool::fish1:

Normal aquarium gravel and LED lighting, nothing special. So far we aren't having a nitrate problem, just a fairly low-level nitrite spike (.25).

Back
Top Bottom