Ram question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheldon.Winters

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i have 2 young bolivian rams (m & f checked with the tube differences but easily could be wrong) in a 65 gal tank with 2 young angles, 4 panda cories and 2 neon gobies. im getting some marbled hatchet and rummy nose tetras to help occupy the upper portion of the tank and deciding on either some gold rams or 2 more angles. my original plan was to have this without the bolivian rams but some german and gold rams totaling 6 but i took the gf to the store when i was getting my them loved the bolivians. things with the rams may get a little heated but i have some good rock deco and lots of plants that make up definite areas to help with this and if i need to i can put the corries in a qt tank to keep it cycled.

the question is if the bolivian rams and gold rams would be fine. the bolivians are a bit more aggressive and the golds are a bit more fragile. as is the bolivians take turns being dbag of the day to each other, only being further antagonized by the angles. should i get 2 angles, 2 rams or just add some more pandas, hatches, or tetras and bump up the schooling fish.

I would add some more Bolivian rams. Generally speaking they are pretty peaceful. Being in a bigger group might help the aggression you are seeing between them.

I would not put more than 2 angels total in a 3ft tank. When they mature you could get into aggression issues.

Gold rams can be delicate fish and even though they are beautiful fish I typically advise people to stay away from them unless they are very experienced.

if i were to get the angels i would also get a 29 gal as a qt tank and for an angle pair once they have matured. the stand built will fit a 29 gal perfectly underneath the 65 as i am planning on putting an angle pair in there anyway. i also want to take a crack at gold and german rams in the future as well, kind of the reason i wanted them in the community. my fear about getting 2 more bolivians is that i would have to re scape so that they can re organise their "turf" because the area each calls home is pretty big right now. until i change the water, then they couldn't get get closer. the male is a little protective and stays between the gravel vac and female at all times, its a lil adorable because he is a little bit smaller. but do you think that may be an issue but like you said maybe the larger group would cut down aggression. also if i do go with angles would would setting up that 29 asap be a needed or do you think I'd have a month or 2 before had to worry.

btw this wouldn't happen for a couple of weeks anyway

Angels are a pretty slow growing fish. I think you would have more than a month or 2.

My experience with Bolivians is not that they need individual territories but that in a group they develop a hierarchy. On the other hand, I found M. Ramirezi(Gold/Blue/GB Ram) to be more aggressive.

Angels are a pretty slow growing fish. I think you would have more than a month or 2.

My experience with Bolivians is not that they need individual territories but that in a group they develop a hierarchy. On the other hand, I found M. Ramirezi(Gold/Blue/GB Ram) to be more aggressive.

I've had very good experience with Bolivian Rams, I have 4 with Angels and tank is as peaceful as it will ever be. Couple of weeks ago I thought I'd add a Blue Ram... What a mistake! This little guy (1/2 the size of the Bolivians) terrorized the whole tank! He kept the Bolivians hidden, and was even chasing some of the Angels and took front stage! I wish I had video of this since it was actually funny to watch this little terror take over the tank.
Needless to say, I took him out and peace was restored.
So From this I would say Bolivians are perhaps the most peaceful Rams.
Just today on my way home from work I stopped at a somewhat big LFS here in central Jersey and saw a display Bolivian Ram tank, I never thought they could get as big a 3 inches, must have been 20 of them and looked pretty peaceful in there as well.

even better, then i get get all the odds and ends first and wait for a cheap tank. if i get the angles it will be sooner then and if i get the rams ill wait till my lfs gets some really good looking ones. its not that the 2 they had left looked bad its just these 2 looked so good and so active in comparison. maybe it was a hierarchy thing like you said and they look just as good now. but i like the blue zebra angles i got. they have just as much personality as the rams.

oh decisions :ermm:. well at least i got it down to 2 choices

ya i never really wanted them but am glad my gf decided on it. i think i was just set on the other rams. the aggression isn't really that bad, i think they just show off when I'm around when the lights are on. did you keep bolivians in groups or paired?

I can only speak for the Bolivian Rams and they're an interesting little bunch to watch with their fast and short little quirky movements, always curious and right up front to greet you, not shy.
I bought them a couple of years ago just to add something to my angels and I've gotten to like them a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So my parents think they are funny and when I came home the day after night out there where 4 swordtails in the tank. Very confusing when you are hung over as. So before I go anything I'm gona get that 29 gal for their fish. I think they just want a tank for when I move out again.

Sent from my iPad usin

Back
Top Bottom