Rampant filter feeder ID/ diagnosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hairless ape

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what these are.. they are growing everywhere in my tank.... I took a pic into my local fish store and the guy had no clue, said I should just scrape them off the rock.. I know they are some kind of filter feeder.. but I need to know if they are good/bad for the tank.. and if I should do something to control them... I bought a wrasse hoping it would nibble away at it all.. on the recommendation of same fish store employee... but he doesn't seem interested... other than spreading everywhere like the zombie virus, it doesn't seem to be harming anything... I need more experienced eyes to render advice.

Sorry if the pic is less than ideal.. if it makes ID difficult let me know and I'll try again.

Thanks
:thanks:

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 75
  • photo-1 copy.JPG
    photo-1 copy.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 71
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 66
They look like colonial feather dusters. Do they retract into a papery translucent tube when disturbed? There are several species that can be prolific breeders. When conditions are favorable they will spread until something stops them.

I'm pretty sure the Hybroid ID was the correct one... they do retract into a soft flexible tube, but I don't think they were colonial feather dusters... ... either way they are not a problem for the moment... after researching Hybroids and seeing the pros and cons.. and realizing that they were way out of control in my tank.. I spent half the day today removing all the live rock... scraping all the hybroids off using various methods... and replacing all the rock.. it was a good choice.. the tank needed an enema cleaning anyway, and now I have new rock designs and mostly fresh clean rock for things to grow on... Plus the fish all think they got new digs.. so a little sweat and tears and it's all good.. if they start cropping up again I'll just know to keep them in check.

thanks to all who have helped with their input.. another problem solved thanks to AA.

Back
Top Bottom