Rams vs. 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melody

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, my new 10 gal is up and running with a sword tail in it. I have been doing a little research and I have found that Im attracted to Rams. From what I have found they can be pretty unforgiving... is this true? Will just one thrive? I have been watching them at the pet store and have to laugh every time... and is 10 gal large enough? Of course the Pet store guy said it would be fine, but I take that with a grain of salt. I wanted to consult with the real Pros... I would like to get two, but am fearful of getting two males, and aggression. I watched the ones at the pet store closely and really could not find a good difference. Wasnt sure if maybe I was looking at a tank of all males. also Im afraid that two would be to much bio load on a 10 gal. Input??? thanks!!!!
~Melody

I've kept breeding pairs of rams in ten gallon tanks with no trouble. I'm not sure how'd they react to a swordtail in the tank though.

Rams are pretty easy to sex, with a little practice. Even at a fairly young age, females will exhibit a rosy-pink belly. The males have a bluish/purplish coloration to their bellies. This can be a bit harder to spot so it's easier to look for the females amongst the males rather than the other way around.

Although there are exceptions to the rules when dealing with cichlids, I've never had much trouble keeping two males in the same tank. Most of their aggression is only for show and rarely led to actual physical damage.

Rams can be difficult to keep, but here are a few "tricks":

Observe the fish at the shop for a few days: if they're healthy looking, they're probably good stock and have acclimated to your local water. If they look pale and sickly at the store, they won't last long at your house. Be picky and shop around when you're looking for rams!:)

Keep your water warm (79 - 82F) and the water quality high. Rams do not tolerate ammonia or nitrite at all, nor do they enjoy high nitrates. Regular, weekly water changes are a must!

Good luck!

Steven

the sowrd tail is my cycle fish... he'll go back in my community tank when his work is done for a little R & R

well, when you say rams are you looking at bolivian rams or german/blue rams? Bolivians, IMO, are entirely too large for a 10 gal. German or blue rams can be done in a 10 gal, as long as you have plenty of plants or hiding spots. In fact, I have kept 3 blue rams in a 10 gal for quite a while. Now, no matter the ram, clean water is essential. in that respect they are a little unforgiving. Weekly water changes, IME, are a must. 2 males can survive together, its simply a matter of hiding spots and creating territories.

Google both types, does the ram you wanted look more like the Bolivian or German blue ram

ack sorry I didnt say so before.
Im looking at the German Blue Ram, but dont have my heart set on it yet. Im only on day one of cycleing, so I still have a ways to wait before "the big day" :D

I've got three bolivian, and i must admit they are one of my face fish in the tank :) I would have thought germans would be fine in a 10G but like the rest have said keep on top of water changes,

actually while im here (wandering off topic slightly) ... i might try and get steven to sex my rams... make sure ive got it right? im still not sure!! will post pics when i get chance to get some.

I am also getting started with German Blue Rams and from what I've found out during my research is that they would do so much better in at least a 20 gallon tank, especially if you plan on breeding down the road.

I've been told that they are very sensitive to pH changes and you should always test your water prior to adding it back into your tank during water changes.

excellent thanks voodoo!

here they are, have i got it right?! I've noticed f2's looking a bit more colourful since the day i got her, and im not sure if im dreaming it but her tail fin seems to have grown slightl extensions since i first had her too, but i dnt know!

I think:

f1.jpg is female - just under 2"
f2.jpg is female - 2"
m1.jpg is male - 2" / just over 2"

none of them have paired off, and the male just pushes them about. Ive seen lip locking, ramming the lot lol they just stay in their corners only come out for feeding, altho f2 is more brave and does stand up to him every now and again.

Hi, I have three rams in my ten gallon with no trouble. They do clash sometimes, but generally stay in their own corners. Make sure you have plenty of hiding places- they prefer lower levels, and like to stay among plants, rocks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom