Ramshorn snail breeding for GSP advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peanutsmama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Ordered 40 ram shorn snails and am waiting for them to arrive in the mail. I have set up a 10 gallon tank with a filter, heater, light and a small amount of seeding material from a cycled tank I have. It has been up and running for 5 days now, the snails will be here in about 10 more days. My question is, should I be "feeding" my tank any algae wafers or anything to get some algae going for them? Or is there anything I am overlooking? I am not sure if I Am posting in the right place or not...

Here's what I did with mine, after the tank was cycled I put in 10 pond and 40 ramshorns into the tank, I run my light for my plants and have the water at the temp my puffers need.

Then I waited, I have so many snails in the tank I'm actually starting to hate it. I knew they would breed but not this fast. And my little dwarf puffers are still on the waiting list at my shipper

I throw in a algae tab once a week but they are happy just sucking in the glass and the dead leaves from my plants self pruning(all my plants have new growth after that)

So they will breed I'm going to be taking the large snails out and add them to a 3 gallon once my Berta tank cycles and I can free it up

Be ready for them they breed really fast, too fast

Awesome. I have a cycled 1.5 gallon and a 10 gallon that is going through a fish less cycle and I need to check the water. would they be ok in the 1.5 tank? I had my betta in there and decided he needed an upgrade so I got him a 10. I also have the other 10 but would like to have that as my hospital tank. or if the snail need the 10, would the 1.5 work for a hospital setup? I am wanting to add some more angels to my tank but definitely want to quarantine them first, I learned that lesson the hard way : /

Back
Top Bottom