Ramshorn Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had one ramshorn in my 44g tall for a few months now with no problems. I recently shut down my 55g and moved another ramshorn to my 44g. Within minutes they found each other and have been tangled up since. My question is am I in for a snail take over? Would it be best to get rid of one or both? I just did this today and am very concerned of a snail infestation. My tank is fully stocked so adding a snail eating fish is not an option. Thanks in advance for the advice :)

If you want to keep the snails but dont want babies, wen they lay there eggs(above water) you can scoop them out with a net/container

What do the eggs look like? I have floating plants, will they lay in them?

Well, i looked up on google and actually found out they dont lay eggs above the serface like mystery snails, though you should be able to scoop 'em with a net stilk, anyway heres what they look like:

Attachments

• image-1418007787.jpg
    image-1418007787.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 95
Maybeon the live plants, and heres wat mystery snail eggs look like:

Thanks!! Think I might get rid of one. Not a fan of killing living animal (even a snail) however do not want an outbreak.

Maybe on the live plants, and heres wat mystery snail eggs look like:

Attachments

• image-477365936.jpg
    image-477365936.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 90
From what I have been told rams horns will only have population boom if there's allot of excess nutrients in the tank. In my 90 I seem to only have a population of about 3-6 adults at any given time.

They lay eggs underwater, anywhere.. Filter, glass, deco etc. They're great as long as you don't overfeed them.

Awesome thanks all!! I do love my ramshorns, I think they add personality and they do a good job keeping my plants clean! I don't overfeed and will be extra cautious about it.

Back
Top Bottom