Ramshorn Snails.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TattdxMama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bought one pink and one blue ramshorn snails to go into the tank in my living room and put them in under a month ago. I didn't think too terribly much of it, figured if they ended up laying eggs it'd be cool but probably would take a while to reach adulthood because I bought them as -very- small juveniles, or if they never laid eggs, whatever. Just kind of going with the flow.
This morning I wake up with about 15-20+ babies in the tank and what appears to be 3 or more egg clusters. Kind of regret naming them Morticia and Gomez now but what can you do...I've got two angelfish en route to go in that tank, should be delivered by the end of the week. I need to get this snail issue under control. I don't mind the babies, but, someone said that I can scrape the egg clusters off the glass so they won't hatch. Is that true?
Also, how old/big do these newly hatched snails need to be before I can rehome them? I've got several friends who want one or two for their tanks but they're -tiny- right now, I'm surprised I even saw them.
Help?

I've red ramshorn snail's and just removed the eggs when I see them it usually helps keeps the population down well slightly Lol

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Ramshorn Snails

Hello Tatt...

If you don't feed too much, you won't have a snail problem. Keep the water clear of dissolved nutrients by removing and replacing half every few days. If you remove the food source, you'll slow the reproduction rate. The growth rate depends on the availability of food. This species will get to be roughly the size of a dime in a few weeks.

Just keep the tank water clean.

B

Back
Top Bottom