random tank idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just thought of the idea of having a catfish tank. I guess catfish are usually bottom dwellers so it'd be hard to have a tank with just a bunch of different catfish types. But, it'd be really cool to have a tank with bottom dwelling catfish, and then a few kinds of catfish that use the upper and middle portions of the water column as well. Any catfish like that?

Upside down cats are the only ones I can think of that swim towards the upper part of the tank, and thats only when they are not hiding.

I've had catfish only tanks in the past. You really need a big tank depending on the type of catfish. Give us an idea of the tank size you will be using and we can suggest some other fish for you.

"I've had catfish only tanks in the past. You really need a big tank depending on the type of catfish."

In a 150g tank my catfish went from less than 1/4" (found it in a bunch of plants) to 18.5" in 15 months.

"I've had catfish only tanks in the past. You really need a big tank depending on the type of catfish."

In a 150g tank my catfish went from less than 1/4" (found it in a bunch of plants) to 18.5" in 15 months.

Sounds like a channel cat, what type is it?

my glass catfish spent most of their time in the upper 2/3rd of my tank. They are a little sketchy when it comes to light, so you have to diffuse it somehow for them to stay towards the top. I just stuck a couple of sheets of wax paper over my hood.

i have pictus cats at work that are always swimming along the sides and toward the top. rarely do i see them on the bottom

I haven't started planning for this as it was just a random thought, but I'm not a fan of huge tanks (just graduated and I'm poor / no room ). Someday I may try to do this kind of tank because I think catfish of all varieties are cool. I'm picturing a smaller tank in the 30 gallon range. I know there aren't many small catfish species.

Yea, not really a whole lot of options for a 30 gallon.. but there are a couple.

Back
Top Bottom