Rapid Breathing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am worried about one of my blue neon rainbows. He hangs out in one spot and just breaths rapidly. He seems otherwise normal.

What are your readings?

How often do you change water?

Sometimes this symptom shows up with poorly oxygenated water.

LyndaB said:
What are your readings?

Readings are all normal. Nitrates are a little due to high nitrates in my tap water. I do use a nitrate controller until the added nitrifying media I put in my canister starts to work.

LyndaB said:
What are your readings?

Oxygen should be okay. I have two hob filters and a 6" air stone.

I'm starting to think I have a constipated fish or he's developing dropsy. He's fat and scales are starting to protrude.

Can you qt him? Once a fish reaches the point of pineconing (scales sticking out), the chances of recovery are very slim because the internal organs (mainly the kidneys) are no longer able to process fluids. Dropsy is a symptom & not an actual disease itself. The causes are numerous- internal infections, parasites, viruses, poor water quality, etc. You can try epsom salt bathes to relieve some fluid retention & meds in qt (metro & kanamycin combo) and hope for the best! Euthanasia is your only other option. I am sorry :(

jlk said:
Can you qt him? Once a fish reaches the point of pineconing (scales sticking out), the chances of recovery are very slim because the internal organs (mainly the kidneys) are no longer able to process fluids. Dropsy is a symptom & not an actual disease itself. The causes are numerous- internal infections, parasites, viruses, poor water quality, etc. You can try epsom salt bathes to relieve some fluid retention & meds in qt (metro & kanamycin combo) and hope for the best! Euthanasia is your only other option. I am sorry :(

Yeah I've been down this road before with a killifish a long long time ago. I wand to Qt him and try to get him to eat some veggies. He's a picky fish and doesn't eat much. What does Epsom salt do for your fish and how does it differ than regular aquarium salt?

Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is a different chemical than aq salt (sodium chloride). It helps to relieve some fluid retention & acts as a laxative as well.

jlk said:
Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) is a different chemical than aq salt (sodium chloride). It helps to relieve some fluid retention & acts as a laxative as well.

How much should I use? I don't have a qt tank so i was thinking of just doing a dip. What if i put him in one of those little treatment containers that hang on the side. How much salt should I use?

Aim for 1 tsp/g. Make sure its dissolved before adding the fish. Use tank water/conditioned water. The bath should be @15mins unless the fish is extremely stressed (starts to roll over/flip, act erratic, etc). If this happens, immediately move him back to the tank. You can use a bucket or a large pot or a big bowl for this. :)

jlk said:
Aim for 1 tsp/g. Make sure its dissolved before adding the fish. Use tank water/conditioned water. The bath should be @15mins unless the fish is extremely stressed (starts to roll over/flip, act erratic, etc). If this happens, immediately move him back to the tank. You can use a bucket or a large pot or a big bowl for this. :)

Thanks. I think it might be to late for him. I just tried to feed them all peas and he didn't eat any so i feed them some frozen brine shrimp and he got one but spit it out.

Back
Top Bottom