Rate my tank for Fry friendliness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-1882288775.jpg

I've had no luck in getting these mollies to produce fry - right now there are 4 females and 2 males. I see a lot of mating going on....I see big swollen bellies on the females....but never see any fry. I guess they get eaten before I ever see them?

I've added Javamoss to top right corner of tank
I've put driftwood with access holes below the moss
I've tried to situate my sponge filter and other plastic plant I a way that provides some shelter/hiding spots
I've put females I thought were on the cusp of birthing into breeder traps

.... But still have not found 1 single fry in this tank. What else can I do to this tank to ensure fry survival rate?

Anacharis

I had a single 5-8 stem bunch of it, I found a good amount of fry after I did that. Plus some hornwort. Also is this the tank they are currently in or a spare tank just for giving birth? I would add small plants to the background, the more the better because Sometimes the stress of birth they sink and can't swim far, plus depending on where mom drops them, she may be dropping them on the opposite side from all the good plants/hide stuff. I spread a lot of plants around, top, bottom, all around, and found a good amount of fry. Also might help to keep the lights off, when you think they are about to drop. I would also try to track them, assign them names and watch them every day for a month. When you see one get skinny but no fry, don't fret. She most likely ate them, but now you know when that particular fish drops and you can move her into breeder net planted or separate tank. I did that, and they gave me tons of babies like clockwork!

Oceangirl said:
I had a single 5-8 stem bunch of it, I found a good amount of fry after I did that. Plus some hornwort. Also is this the tank they are currently in or a spare tank just for giving birth? I would add small plants to the background, the more the better because Sometimes the stress of birth they sink and can't swim far, plus depending on where mom drops them, she may be dropping them on the opposite side from all the good plants/hide stuff. I spread a lot of plants around, top, bottom, all around, and found a good amount of fry. Also might help to keep the lights off, when you think they are about to drop. I would also try to track them, assign them names and watch them every day for a month. When you see one get skinny but no fry, don't fret. She most likely ate them, but now you know when that particular fish drops and you can move her into breeder net planted or separate tank. I did that, and they gave me tons of babies like clockwork!

Thanks for the tips ! Tracking sounds like a good idea Timing a bit of a guessing cause mollies can drop every 4-6 weeks I think, right? So it's not like it would be ever 30 days ... Please Correct me if wrong!

Mollies drop every 30 days, I had a molly drop march 21, April 21, May 21, Jun 21, and then I had to get rid of some babies and 1 mom because I was running out of room. My other girl gave me babies on the 18th of the month. They are that regular.

Oceangirl said:
Mollies drop every 30 days, I had a molly drop march 21, April 21, May 21, Jun 21, and then I had to get rid of some babies and 1 mom because I was running out of room. My other girl gave me babies on the 18th of the month. They are that regular.

Wow that is pretty much like clockwork!

Ok I have a separate 10gallon tank set aside for birthing/fry growout so I'll give the tracking think a try and move the females over at the suspected 30 day mark and see what happens!

You'll have fry coming out your ears! make sure to fatten them on blood worms or brine shrimp and they grow like weeds!!

Back
Top Bottom