RC Helicopters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been interested maybe in a RC helicopter. Anybody into this kind of thing? Some better than others? saw the advertisement on TV for the havocheli. It is like 40 bucks. Wast of money?
TIA.

My husband had a helicopter a few years ago but it was a LOT more than $40. I'm thinking it was around $300 or $400.

I fly RC planes, never really got into helicoptors, just my personal preference. However, being in the hobby, I will say that if you're serious about this, those things you get for $40, like the airhogs stuff, are literally cheap plastic toys, and will not seriously get you into the hobby if you really want to do it, and not give you a real idea of what it can be like.

If you are serious, I highly recommend starting on a PC Flight Simulator. Learning the basics in this manner will save you a ton of money for repairs in the long run, TRUST ME. hehe. There are several simulators you can use. And while they appear to be "games", the physics have been mapped tremendously well and they are really an extremely accurate representation of the real thing.

I'd like to point you to a great online forum, such as this one, for the RC hobby. http://www.rcgroups.com can give you all the info you've ever wanted to know, and more!

You should also look for a local club in your area and just go out and meet and talk to them. Nearly all clubs require membership with the AMA (http://www.modelaircraft.org) and their website can help you find local clubs to check out.

If you are serious, I highly recommend starting on a PC Flight Simulator. Learning the basics in this manner will save you a ton of money for repairs in the long run, TRUST ME. hehe. There are several simulators you can use. And while they appear to be "games", the physics have been mapped tremendously well and they are reall an extremely accurate representation of the real thing.

I guess that would be a good idea. the one i saw was an airhog product. and the reason I asked of the quality was because of the fact they post all the spare parts right up frt, making me think, How often is it going to breakdown. LOl

Edit. P.s And if the cheap ones run on batteries and only fly 10 min a charge, maybe i should be looking at a fuel powered unit, with and only use batteries for the servo's.

I also fly RC planes. (second hobby) Plenty challenging for me. Helicoptors are much harder to fly, (so I'm told). The one you're looking at is a toy. It may not even fly.

The hobbies are similar, after you get one..... you want another!

I don't know if Neilanh agree's but my planes use up $$$$ faster than my freshwater tanks!

Folks,
Maybe 20 years ago I bought a RC helicopter kit for $2000. That correct $2000 20 years ago. (that included everything-pitch gauge, starter etc...It was top of the line German Slouter Superior if I recall. Huge model gas powered motor.It was great fun building it. Not being one for video games as a kid--I could not fly it!! Even with its built in Gyro I did not have the patience to ease on the controls--(two sticks).
You have to build a training jig with wiffle balls and dowels.

I recommend going with something cheap that you can replace the blades easy on your first go around!!
Cliff
NY

ReefRaff - the world of RC is currently changing over to electric. While there will always be the die-hard gas/glo guys, that doesn't have to be your choice. With the new technologies of lithium polymer batteries, things are changing very much. However, there are pros and cons to both electric and gas/glo. All of my planes, even my larger scale ones, are all electric. And you'll need to look into the pros and cons and determine what works best for you.

$2000, wow, while I can see that used to be the case, it's no longer the case. You can now get upper end stuff for much less than that, and it is much more widely available now.

And I agree with TwoHobbies - R/C, if you really get into it, can be very expensive. mainly because, just like with fish tanks, who can really have just 1? I have 6 planes. LOL. And just like most hobbies, the main expenses are upfront, and then upkeep isn't too bad.

Let me tell you this now, because I've seen this destroy new pilots that really had potential. And I have no doubt TwoHobbies will agree with me. If you get into this hobby, YOU WILL CRASH, and will it crush you when you happens. If you go into it knowing this fact, you will recover and move on, repair your vehicle and/or buy a new one salvaging what you can, without skipping a beat. If you don't get that in your head, you'll put out an initial investment, and when it happens, it can discourage you to the point of quitting.

Good Luck! R/C can be a very rewarding hobby, it houses a great group of people, and the possibilties are endless. Some people like to fly, some people like to build, some to design. There's many many aspects to the hobby.

Now, speaking of all this, I have 2 planes I wrecked last fall that I need to get put back together now that spring is rolling around. LOL

I've also been into RC planes for quite a while. Or at least I was. I haven't flown in a few years but my wife gave me a kit for a new plane this christmas. She has no idea the trouble she's started by getting me back into the hobby lol!

I've also always been very interested in doing helicopters. They are considerably more difficult to control. I downloaded a demo of an RC simulator and if you're not accustomed to controling things via RC you can expect your first few flights to be... rough. And if you're attempting them with a real vehicle it will also be very expensive.

Here's a couple links you might find helpful:
Demo version of an RC Flight sim. Includes 1 plane and 1 helicopter:
http://www.realflight.com/free-g3-demo.html

A ready to fly RC helicopter i've been considering for a while. includes it all, motor, batteries, radio and flies out of the box. $200
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/heli-max/hmxe04.html

I'll chime in as another RC hobby dude. I fly electric only, but fly both plane and heli. I have a Centrury Hummingbird heli. I believe the ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) kit was just under $200. It's been a pretty solid heli and parts are readily available to me local.

I would check out a Heli sim before you buy anything. It would really be nice if you could get in to planes first, to fully understand the 3D movement. Heli's are typically harder to fly than planes.

If you do have to jump right in and purchase a heli, a Fixed Pitch trainer is probably best as they have less to calibrate and balance. You'll also want to start fairly cheap and with something that hobby shops in your area will carry parts for. Expect to break rotor and tail blades, landing gear, canopies, and probably a tail boom or main shaft at least once... even with training gear.

It's been a LONG time since I've looked at heli's, especially beginner models, but I would say that a Century Hummingbird or GWS Dragonfly would be alright. Also, heli's with the dual rotors are good for starting out. I remember hearing good things about the Air Hogs one.

Here's a forum to check out that should give you more than enough information to get started: http://www.rcgroups.com

Cliffz said:
Folks,
Maybe 20 years ago I bought a RC helicopter kit for $2000. That correct $2000 20 years ago. (that included everything-pitch gauge, starter etc...It was top of the line German Slouter Superior if I recall. Huge model gas powered motor.It was great fun building it. Not being one for video games as a kid--I could not fly it!! Even with its built in Gyro I did not have the patience to ease on the controls--(two sticks).
You have to build a training jig with wiffle balls and dowels.

I recommend going with something cheap that you can replace the blades easy on your first go around!!
Cliff
NY

Hehehe, gassers! Electrics are much cheaper (but still expensive, don't get me wrong), smaller, quieter, and becoming more popular. I can fly my chopper in my living room, in my backyard, in a school gym, at the park, or at the club field. With gassers, you're pretty much limited to designated fields. I don't know if the original poster (ReefRaff) was considering gas-powered at all, but if so, I would think twice. ;)

Gosh you guys are awsome. I didn't think so many would be into this. I ordered the airhogs one. I also downloaded the demo sims, and am practicing on that. I may also get the storm launcher when spring gets here.

RC Helis

I have flown RC helis for about 7 years and have owned 3 different helis, 1 nitro (fuel) and two electrics. I could answer any questions you might have. Unfortunately I just sold all of my helicopter equiptment (hehe which inevitably funded this hobby) but I am still pretty well versed in the current state of the RC heli market. As someone mentioned electric is starting to become more and more popular (I think he was talking about planes) but for the large helis the fuel burning engines are much cheaper to run and give more power. To get into the hobby even remotely seriously you are going to have to spend around $800-$1000.

I really really liked the T-rex electric that I owned, but I think there might be a newer "hot electric" mini helicopter out.

By the way, the promise land for RC helicopters is www.Runryder.com. The place if friggin great, I learned everything I know from that site. I have also asked questions about anything from Digital cameras to machininging to electronics and found many experts in this areas (people who are interested in rc helicopters are often very technically oriented).

Good places to look in terms of purchasing (aside from all of the places sponsored on Runryder.com)
www.helihobby.com Lot of good electric stuff
Rick's RC helis
www.heliproz.com

I got one of the twin blade ones from radio shack and it was cool for about an hour than broke. I few commercial pilots I know got the cheaper ones that are made with single blades and styrofoam bodies and work much better. HTH

I picked up the Air Hogs "toy" (HavocHeli) to play around with while I was in Las Vegas. I was rather surprised! It flies very well and is pretty much indestructible (my 3 and 5 year olds can fly it).

It runs on 6 AA batteries in the transmitter and a 50mah LiPo battery (included) in the heli. The transmitter hooks up to the heli to charge and takes roughly 10 minutes. Flying lightly, I can get about 8 to 10 minutes of flight. Being an R/C nut, I had a spare 80mah LiPo battery in the shop. I cut away the foam body and was easily able to replace the battery. I still get 8 to 10 minutes of flight (extra weight of the larger battery puts more strain on the motor), but at least I can have one charging and one flying at any given time (save for a 5 minute "cool-down" time).

Overall, it's well worth the $40 from Wal-Mart. I've flown it in my house, garage, back patio, and even in a metal building (works with infa-red technology. Didn't think it would fly well in a metal building). If you are attempting to fly outside, I suggest 0 wind and a large open space. The heli cannot handle even the slightest wind and is prone to losing its IR signal (which prompted a "fly away" without control).

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I am also interested in RC helis. My wife got me a present...a Walkera 5-4 dragonfly remote heli. She went on the advice of someone she works with. From what I can see, it is a pretty good beginer aircraft. 4 channel remote and a bunch of other stuff I know nothing about yet. I welcome any suggestions or reviews you have on this particular model. When it come to RC helis...I am a complete nooob.

Neilan wrote
the world of RC is currently changing over to electric.

Blasphemy!

I'm one of those die hard fuel guys.

I use the Real Flight G3 simulator. When it comes to a heli. you can't go wrong with a simulator first.

I tried out my heli tonight for the first time. I was very surprised at how easy it was to fly, right out of the box. I was zipping around the living room chasing the dog in no time. I have not had it outdoors yet to see how it does with some wind. So far so good. It is a lot of fun. If anyone can recommend some good sites on RC helis I would appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom