RCS Breeding Discovery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought some RCS to breed, mostly for the experience. I have had them for a while but never noticed any young until last weekend. I found 2 small shrimp about 1/4" long in the bottom of the tank.

I went to Florida this week, getting back on Thursday. Last night I noticed my filterwas running a little slow, so I pulled the pad out to rinse it. To my surprise, I found 15 - 20 baby shrimp in with the gunk on the pad.
I rescued them and put them into the tank with the other shrimp. I pulled the course pad out and rinsed it, discovering 10 more. I put them into the tank as well. I took the filter assembly off the tank and rinsed it out and found 7 more!

Apparently, the mesh I put over the intake is too coarse (I put it in specifically to prevent this) and is letting either eggs or hatchlings get into the filter. I use 2 layers of tulle over the intake. (I guess I need to rethink my strategy) I am surprised that there were so many in the filter housing. Making it through the impeller was a miracle.

2 weeks ago I put a small power head in the tank to keep the water moving and for additional filtration. On a whim I pulled it out and rinsed the filters and found several hatchlings, so small I could barely see their eyes, much less their bodies. I rescued as many as I found, putting them in the tank with the other shrimp.

Looking in the tank, I am seeing more of the shrimp than I thought possible. Then I spotted 2 large females with what looks like little green eggs in their swimmerettes. I guess more are on the way!

That's always been my experience with RCS. For some reason, the canister filter is the only place I've ever been able to keep them alive haha. Congrats on the shrimp.

i always use aquaclear sponges over the intake or u can buy these intake covers specifically made from inverts on aquabid for $10ish

the aquaclear sponges fit any intake lenght, and are like $4 for a 6-8 pack and u only need to change them every 2-3 months.....

Petsmart sells a sack in the filter media center for less than a dollar that you can put over the intake and shrimp will not come through.

congrats;)

just get a pack of 6 aquaclear sponges over the intake($3 for 6), change it every 2 months and its helpful as it works as bio-media...........

Back
Top Bottom