RCS intermittent lethargy - need some more experienced opinions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Background: I have 4 red cherry shrimp in a 5 gallon hex with a small adjustable heater that keeps the tank around 76-78. Had 6 originally but lost 2 within 24hrs of bringing them home from the LFS, a couple weeks ago. There are also two tiny mosquito rasbora in there (Hoping to get a few more when the LFS gets them in, let them grow up a bit then move them to my larger tank) The tank was running as a quarantine tank for a while and the filter media came from my established tank. (sponges and wet/dry bio wheel - standard on the hex.) i checked water chemistry levels frequently when i first added them to make sure there was no mini cycle, and have had no ammonia/nitrite problems. It has lots of java moss and and an Anubis plant.i have only been running the overhead light for a few hours at a time in the morning and at night because I don't want the tank to heat up too much.

Concern: I haven't lost any shrimp since the first 24 hours after bringing them home, But they came straight from the bag from the shipper to the LFS, so I imagine that was shipping stress. However, every morning I notice they are not very active- not doing their constant grazing thing. I know this is a warning sign so i do a small water change (usually just a few cups, never more than .5 gallon - tap + prime usually 'aged' for 12-24 hrs) they perk up, scurry around and act normal. However when I get home from work they are usually still again. Cue another small water change ... Rinse and repeat. Just a note, the fish have shown no signs of stress at all.

Is it possible that with all the plants in the tank and only getting a few hours of direct light in the morning and in the evening, There is not enough oxygen in the water? I lowered the water level already to see if that would help but nothing really changed.

Or is this not really a sign of stress like I think it is. I may be hyper sensitive because I had cherries once a while ago. Went strong for months bred like crazy and then petered out one by one over a couple months. Maybe something changed in my water supply...

I look forward to some more experienced thoughts on this.

i would add an air stone for a few days to see if they get better. What is the water's ph? kh? gh?

Did you drip acclimate them when you bring them home? usually that makes surrival rates much better when adding new shrimps.

I used to have an airstone I will see if I can find it again. Yes To drip acclimation. I haven't done a liquid test in a week or so(have to get more glass tubes), so for now I'm using the strips. My pH is on the low side (always has been) maybe 6.6-6.8. Kh around 100 ppm , gh 75ppm.

Perhaps I should lower the temperature in the tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom