RCS possibly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've never had any shrimp before but I am thinking about getting red cherry shrimp to keep in my fluval view 5 gallon that has a few glofish in it. Is there anything I should know about shrimp keeping or any suggestions on arranging the tank. Here is the tank.

Attachments

• image-575884414.jpg
    image-575884414.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 101
I would say just add a couple plants maybe

The glow fish might occasionally nip at a RCS that happens to swim by it, but they shouldnt actively hunt them down.

I've had zebra danios with my RCS before and they only seem to accidentally nip the RCS during feeding times. Never hurt them though

When it comes to tanks with fish+shrimp, ghost shrimp seem to be the best choice. Providing that you obtain the non aggressive species that is

There should be enough cover for them in my tank. I just really think they would make the tank pop. How many should I get?

I would personally start with a ratio of five males to ten females if you want to build a colony for a five gallon bit you could do much more if you just wanna stock it up.

There should be enough cover for them in my tank. I just really think they would make the tank pop. How many should I get?

You can have as many as about 50 in a tank that size, I would start out with 10 or so. Very few breeders sell sexed RCS, as long as you get 10 you will probably get mixed genders, enough to make some babies ;) If you do end up with all one gender, time to buy a lottery ticket :brows:

I can have up to 50?!?! Geez. That seems like a lot. Here is my tank setup. Hope it's ok that I don't have live plants. I don't do live plants anymore.

Attachments

• image-4110534702.jpg
    image-4110534702.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 104
Their is several other places you could check sometimes aquabid can be a bit pricey you just have to watch for good deals.. i think i remember seeing a small selection on amazon.com last night too .. and you could search the web and just type in red cherry shrimp for sale all kinds of stuff will pop up.. i usually read the reviews before i order from places i dont know and so far so good..

Also you may be able to get some from here.. i searched rcs last night and saw a thread that had i think 20 for sale ;)

That sounds great. I definitely wanna get my hands on some. Thanks for the help!

I just called my local pet store and they said to look on their distributors website and give them the code and they will order it. So I did. Hopefully they don't make me pay extra for shipping.

The glow fish might occasionally nip at a RCS that happens to swim by it, but they shouldnt actively hunt them down.

I've had zebra danios with my RCS before and they only seem to accidentally nip the RCS during feeding times. Never hurt them though

When it comes to tanks with fish+shrimp, ghost shrimp seem to be the best choice. Providing that you obtain the non aggressive species that is

Plus ghost shrimp are dirt cheap ! Like .33 cents at my petsmart

Yea, shrimp have very small bioloads. You can have about 5-10 per gallon

So helpful!! Thank you!! I have a 10 Gal with WCM and about 5 RCS and someone said i was crowding the tank. I did some research on appropriate ratios of fish to gallons and found information on several posts saying shrimp are actually "negative" bioload on the tank...meaning they actually have a positive effect on the bioload in the tank. Would you agree with that information??

So helpful!! Thank you!! I have a 10 Gal with WCM and about 5 RCS and someone said i was crowding the tank. I did some research on appropriate ratios of fish to gallons and found information on several posts saying shrimp are actually "negative" bioload on the tank...meaning they actually have a positive effect on the bioload in the tank. Would you agree with that information??

Negative? Im not sure about that :blink: ive never heard that anywhere before

My RCS seem to poop quite a bit. Its very small, but they still poop. And no matter how small it is, waste still equals ammonia

So to say they have a "negative" effect wouldnt make sense to me. The ONLY thing i can think of is that because the shrimp will constantly scavenge for left over food, there will be less decaying material in your tank. Which would mean less ammonia build up from that

Also, if your looking for shrimp online i would check out The Shrimp Farm. I ordered my RCS from them and it was easy, fast, and friendly with a decent selection to boot. The shrimp i got were awesome too, they looked more like Fire Red shrimp than red cherries!

Back
Top Bottom