RCS tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burger Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I have a few questions about setting up and RCS tank. Thank you for answering!

Can I put ram fry in With them in a 2.5 g tank with a little HOB filter?

Must the shrimp tank be cycled?

What kind of substrate would be best for RCS?

HoW to breed RCS?

Can anyone share photos of their shrimp tank (prefebly 2.5 g) to give me some ideas on how to scape it? Thanks!

The shrimp tank must be cycled, they're very delicate and don't tolerate any ammonia or nitrites.
You can use a HOB filter, you just have to make sure you put an intake sponge over the intake tube so the baby shrimp can't get sucked up.
Sand or gravel works fine, it's up to personal preference.
As for the ram fry, it should be fine, but when they get large enough to eat baby shrimp you might want to remove them.
As for breeding them, just make sure they have good water parameters and are well fed, and they'll take care of breeding. There's nothing you really have to do to make them breed. :lol:

?? What is an intake spongw? Do you have a picture?

What colour should the
substrate be? As in like dark or light. Would dark make the colours of the shrimp show up more? Black sand maybe?

What size should I remove the ram fry?

What is the best food to feed the RCS during breeding and normally? How long is the gestation peirod?

Instead of cycling, can I take some filter media from me cycled 20g and put it in the shrimp tank;

A darker substrate should bring out their colors better. Black sand should be fine.
With the ram fry, as soon as their mouths ar being enough to eat a 2mm baby shrimp they will.
As for feeding, they eat fish flakes, blanched veggies, frozen food, etc. Variety is key. You can even buy specially made food for shrimp.

They have a very low bioload, but they breed quickly, so I'd start with 8 or so adults. You might need to rehome or sell them if they get too numerous, but I think you could safely keep 8-10 per gallon.

Ok thank you! Also may I ask if the ram fry will be visible in the black sand. Can I feed Hikari First Bites for both the fry and the shrimp?

The hilarious food should be fine, just supplement the shrimp's diet if you see fit to after the ram fry have been moved out.
I'm not sure about the visibility of the ram fry on the black sand.
Yes, you can use media from your 20g to jump start the cycle, but you still need an ammonia source to feed the bacteria and you need to test parameters.

The first bites should be fine. At some point supplement the shrimp's diets a little though, maybe algae wagers of blanched veggies.
Not sure about the fry being visible.
And yes, you can seed the tank with the media from the 20g, but you have to have a source of ammonia to feed it and make sure tests all come out well. It speeds up the cycle but may or may not cycle it instantly.

Shrimp do better in a tank that has been running for a few months. Plants and other surfaces for biofilm to grow on. I also feed mine dried magnolia leaves.

IMG_1398.jpgIMG_9030.jpg

Last edited:
Uh I am gonna assume that the tank is cycled by now so I will add 5 shrimp into it. I hope I get babies soon?

nope I don't. I know I should get one but here in Singapore the cheapset I could find was $64 like what even?! And I'm a schoolkid so nope no money...

Back
Top Bottom