RCS vs CRS vs Amano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last time I was at my LFS they had some RCS, Crystal Red Shrimp, and 1 Amano shrimp.

I prefer the RCS over the others, they look the best IMO, but I bought the 1 Amano because the LFS guy said the others wouldn't help with clean up. Is this true? I thought I read online these 3 types of shrimp were all great for a CUC. Can someone clarify because I'd really like to add some RCS.

My current tank setup is a 20 long (so I been told, but it's 30x13x16) with an AquaClear 70 and Beamswork 400 led. Stock is 12 Black Neon Tetras and 12 Celestial Pearl Danios, with 4 Rabbit Snails and 1 Amano shrimp for CUC.

That should be about a 25 gallon... it's taller than a 20 long but shorter than a 29. Black neons will get large enough to pick off smaller shrimp, but if you have enough cover, you'll probably have some survive into adulthood. RCS are generally easier to keep than CRS. Amano shrimp are great cleaners, and RCS and CRS will clean surfaces in the tank as well.

That should be about a 25 gallon... it's taller than a 20 long but shorter than a 29. Black neons will get large enough to pick off smaller shrimp, but if you have enough cover, you'll probably have some survive into adulthood. RCS are generally easier to keep than CRS. Amano shrimp are great cleaners, and RCS and CRS will clean surfaces in the tank as well.

Ok thanks. I'll probably get 10-12 of the RCS, and some java moss for the young to hide in. I'm not really looking to breed but if I can sustain the population would be perfect for me, if they breed and the juvi's become a snack for my fish that's a bonus IMO.

The shrimp will also make their way into your filter too. Get a screen cover for the intake. Cherry shrimp breed very well. You should not have an issue with keeping your numbers up. I literally have hundreds of them in almost all my tanks. They are great cleaners. The conditions required for crystal red shrimp are a lot different. They are tougher to keep alive, I recommend to everyone to start with cherry shrimp first and crystal reds should be kept in a shrimp only tank.

The shrimp will also make their way into your filter too. Get a screen cover for the intake. Cherry shrimp breed very well. You should not have an issue with keeping your numbers up. I literally have hundreds of them in almost all my tanks. They are great cleaners. The conditions required for crystal red shrimp are a lot different. They are tougher to keep alive, I recommend to everyone to start with cherry shrimp first and crystal reds should be kept in a shrimp only tank.

I agree with everything you said. I definitely should have mentioned covering your filter intake. I use sponge filters exclusively in my shrimp tanks so I don't really think about it much.

I agree that crystal reds should be kept in a shrimp only tank for the majority of folks. I keep mine alone in a 10 gallon. I would probably have more RCS but I tend to keep them in their own tank as well vs. spreading them out into my tanks with fish.

The cherries come in very handy for breeding cories. When I pull the eggs, I put them in a breeder box with shrimp in it. They can't eat the eggs but they can't resist picking at them, thus keeping the fungus from starting

Interesting, I've had them decimate some Apisto eggs before. Probably won't risk it again. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom