re-arranging my fish-suggestions needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobbiejack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi- I'm new here and need some advice. I have 3 small tanks- one 5 gallon with 3 tetras and an oto catfish that's just about done cycling, one 5 gallon that's new, no fish and at the beginning of cycling and a 3 gallon with one nerite snail and perfectly cycled.

Before I get questioned about this situation let me tell you I didn't ask for any of this, I "inherited" all of it from my elderly mother because someone thought it would be nice for her to have some fish. I had fish as a teenager and was pretty successful and have forgotten a lot but the responsibility has fallen to me because I'm the only one with "experience".

Here's my question- the oto is being harassed by the tetras and I was thinking about moving him to the tank with the nerite but since I'm almost at the end of cycling the tetra/oto tank I'm afraid of upsetting things. I've dedicated the last month to getting that right and am concerned about screwing that up.

Also, I understand that otos are not real good at being moved and may be lonely with only a snail as a companion. The 3 gallon is too small for anything else so that's as good as it's going to get for him. He's really thriving with the tetras (if I can overlook the harassment) so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Does anyone have experience with otos and can give some advice? Removing the oto will also leave me with nothing doing algae removal for the tetras so that's another consideration. I expect to have the other 5 gallon tank cycled in a couple of weeks and could move things around at that time if anyone has an idea for a better arrangement. I was hoping to put a betta in that tank but am more concerned about doing what's best for the fish I have now so if that means I have to use that tank for something else that's OK too.

Back
Top Bottom