Re Planting my Established Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricardo48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone.

My wisteria has grown out of control and trimming it down is just not working.

Is it ok to completely pull the plant out of the substrate and trim it down and remove all the bits I dont want. An then just re plant and add some root tabs.

I try regular pruning but find trimming the tops off the stems to not be very good as I want to remove the bit further down near the gravel that has poorer growth. Just like my cabomba I find the easiest way to do this is to pull it out and cut off the bottom segment and replant.

Is this ok as an ok long term way of maintaining my Aquarium plants?

Yes, it's perfectly fine. The upper end, nearest the light, of the plants typically grow better. It's not uncommon to unroot, prune the tops and just replant the tops back in. You'll see a small lull in growth as new roots get formed, but it helps keep everything looking good IMO.

Oh, ok... I just hear alot of talk about not destroying the root base but I suppose if you do it with plants which use there leaves more for growth it aint so bad. As oppose to chopping bottoms off amazon sword.

Lopping off the bottom & replanting the top works for stem plants ... like your wisteria & cambomba. It won't work for rosette plants like Anubias & crypts!

just meaning its fine to cut and replant stem plants. when you look other plants such as java ferns swords crypts anubias if you cut them in half they will die. the leafs you would cut off wouldnt grow new plants.

Back
Top Bottom