Read fourms and articles about Ick, but......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franco7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm still very untrusting of taking my new fish that are in my qt tank that attracked ick. I am goign with the heat method of getting rid of ick, i notcied it on my catfish who recently passed away, not sure if it was from the ick or not, im guessing it was. I raised the temp to about 85 seeing where thats all my 50 watt heater would raise it too, and its been there for about 2 weeks now, but i just went out and bought a 100 watt, but my concern is, i don't know if i killed all the ick, and really paraniod that i will infest my big tank if i move the fish over to it. I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem and used heat and brought the ick victims that survided the heat treatment or ick itself and moved it over with no problems, and also should i put in a new biowheel for and clean out my rocks or will the heat kill all that? I have a gold gournami and 2 cardinal tetra's in the qt tank right now.

Thanks guys.

Well the fish that had ick, the catfish dies. No other fish had any signs except him, but my gold gournami doesn't look that good, but it could be due to heat too. The at fish died about week an half ago.

You should keep the temp up for 2 weeks after the last signs of ich.

I would keep them quarantined for a bit longer and slowly bring the temp back down.

And there has been some discussion about ich that does'nt seem to die from the temp over 30c. We will have to wait and see.

Good luck

Right i was reading that fourm about the ick thats been last over 3 weeks, see like i said no other ones have any signs of ick, not spots or anything, but my gold gournami does have a bright red spot near his gills so i reallyu don't know whats going on, but i am going to let it sit till prob the end of the week, i might get a couple fish and see if thy get it.

I recently saved a beta covered with white spots

As far as your rocks, gravel, plants :

If the parasite has no host, it dies. Therefore I changed 100% of the water and cleaned up (disinfected) my QT every day. This way I got rid of the parasite "eggs".
2) I left my main tank with no fish for 1 week. All plants and rocks in. Here again, the parasite died because there was no host.
There is now 2 angel fish, 1 beta, 5 danio and they are perfectly fine, living proof that you can live your tank as such
IMPORTANT NOTE : I have NO SNAIL and NO MUSSEL. I do not know if they can be a host for the ick. Let me know if you know.

Also, a warning : you wheel will likely not be at 30C=86F because of the evaporation that cools down locally the water. it can therefore be a hide-out for the ick.

Back
Top Bottom