Ready to go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I've set up my planted tank and it's just clearing up. I want to know if anyone can think of any more equipment I need or if anything won't work as well as I hope. Here are the tank details:
20 g long
Eclispe 3 hood (biowheel, carbon filter)
65w Smartlight PC retrofit
30lbs (about 2 inchs) of Flourite (is this spelled right?)
A CO2 system that uses sugar and yeast
100w heater
A really cool piece of driftwood
airstone
No fish or plants, yet
Does this sound like it will work well for a planted tank? Also, I added 3 gallons of old aquarium water, 16ish gallons of RO/DI, and 1 1/2 cups of old gravel (the old stuff came from my current FW tank).
Where should I put the discard for the CO2 unit so it is most effective? Somewhere with low current?
Another question - I rinsed off the gravel, but the tank is super cloudy - will it clear up on its own? Or should I change some water?
Much thanks!!

The water in the tank will totaly clear in 2-3 days, I would leave it be. Does the CO2 unit have a diffuser? If not then you want it in high flow, if it does then low flow is best.

Most sounds good but one thing, no airstone! Using it will drive off the co2 that you are adding to the tank.

Don't know the eclipse systems. How much does this disturb the surface of the water? You need as little surface agitation as possible, or again, it drives off the co2.

You can put the co2 pretty much anywher you want, I like mine partly hidden, but in a place where i can still see it fom at least one angle, make sure its working right.

The tank will clear up in time 12-48 hours.

Your system does sound pretty decent... but as corvus says... the airstone is not a good idea, also if I remember correctly the Eclipse system does create a lot of surface agitation and the CO2 will not stay in the water as well as it would otherwise... you might have to find a new filter or just live with the one you've got.

Okay, so the air stone is history! The Eclipse does create a lot of agitation on the surface, but there are a few dead spots so I'll put the CO2 thing there.
Electrobes said:
you might have to find a new filter or just live with the one you've got.
Yeah, we just upgraded the lights and got a new chiller for the other SW tank so I'm going to have to live with what I got on this FW tank. Thanks!

Back to this detail, just went and looked at the eclipse site. During cycling, you prolly want to leave the carbon in the filter, afterthat, Id use cartridges with no carbon. Carbon removes some trace elements that plants need, so its not good in a planted tank. It is good during the cycle though.

The Eclipse does create a lot of agitation on the surface

Hopefully it wont drive off too much co2, did you say you were handy or not? Any way to modify it so the surface isn't agitated, or at least lessened? Keep in mind modifications will void any warranty on the hood. Please don't break anything on my behalf! If you're not sure, leave as is and hope your co2 stays in solution.

Where did you get your flourite?

Not sure who you are asking, but I bought mine at a semi-local mega-aquarium store, 13.99 a bag. even if it's 17-18 a bag, it beats buying online, as the shipping on any kind of gravel will kill you due to weight.

corvuscorax said:
Hopefully it wont drive off too much co2, did you say you were handy or not? Any way to modify it so the surface isn't agitated, or at least lessened?

I'm not that handy, but willing to try anything once. What are some modifications I could do?

Okay, the plants have been ordered. I got them from www.fishvet.com - hopefully it's a good place to order from. The plants will be here in a week and a half (I delayed the shipping until after I move the rest of my crap to my permanent home). I ordered the 29 gallon pack w/ 50 plants and had them scale it down a bit. They said it was for beginners and the price was okay, so I just went for it. I'll post some photos when everything is planted and it looks good. :D

Okay, the plants have been ordered. I got them from www.fishvet.com - hopefully it's a good place to order from.

I've used them once, they are good folks. Very willing to answer questions and give advice, and the plants i got were good.

I'm not that handy, but willing to try anything once. What are some modifications I could do?

I looked at the Eclipse manufacturers site last friday to see what you might be able to do, I really couldn't come up with anything, sorry. I have no experience with that type hood/filter system and wouldn't want you to break anything. Go with it as is and see what happens! I think you'll be fine. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom