Real or fake plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotsofbabies

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all

Just wondering which is the best to have in an aquarium?

I'm considering this, as my guppy females seem to go into labour when we are at work and by the time we get home, the fry have been eaten... :(

I am a NO to LOW maintenance person, so which will be the healthiest, easiest and best for my purpose?

:thanks:

Well since you are a "NO to LOW maintenance person" I'd say fake. If you try really hard you can find nicer fake plants that look real.
But IMO since diving into a big planted tank I love the look and understand why people prefer them. Healthiest would be planted too probably. The plants help with the parameters.

You could get low light plants I suppose but could lead to more maintenance than you would like.

well, if you get easy low-light plants then go with planted any day with little or no maintenance as at least plants will provide some additional free maintenance versus plastic plants which will do nothing...plants eat up excess nutrients thus decreasing chances of algae and consume the "crap" in the tank so it is cleaner and are more aesthetically pleasing overal...

I should also add that java moss will accumulate detritus that, while not necessarily being the prettiest thing to look at, will act as a food source for fry. Java moss is also extremely undemanding; I've had a wad of it in a jar on my desk for the last few months with only ambient light, and it's still green.

Back
Top Bottom