Really important question! Substrate for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I use this in my planted tank as a substrate? 10 gallons, standard HOB filter, heater, and fluorescent lights. I supplement with CO2 and i alternate ferts (api plant food and seachems flourish.) My plants are doing well, but I don't like gravel! Can I use this?

Thank you in advance!

img_2266951_0_d5cc1812c63beeffcb1ecf53eaaaf388.jpg

EDIT: The only fish is a very happy Betta. :)

i believe that if it doesn't say potting "mix" its ok, because mix has bad stuff in it that kills fish. i may be wrong though. wait for another person to reply just in case.

i believe that if it doesn't say potting "mix" its ok, because mix has bad stuff in it that kills fish. i may be wrong though. wait for another person to reply just in case.

Thank you for your input. I should probably post ingredients. I will in a minute!

I use Quickrete play sand (bought it at lowes. 50lb bag for $3.68). It looks natural and my fish love it.

I use Quickrete play sand (bought it at lowes. 50lb bag for $3.68). It looks natural and my fish love it.

Aaaaaand that's now my plan. The price is perfect. Lol. I'll post a picture when it's done. :)

Check if it has any moisture control additives as well.

Contains sphagnum peat moss and perlite for moisture control.

Contains compost, sphagnum peat, perlite, plant food, and a wetting agent.

.07% total nitrogen=
.04% ammoniacal nitrogen
+
.03% nitrate nitrogen

.01% Available phosphate
.03% potash

Says it feeds for up to 4 months.

Wetting agent would keep me from using it. Grab the cheapest bag of top soil or an organic top soil and you should be fine.

When dirting a tank you should use Organic Potting Soil, not potting mixes or just potting soil that isn't organic. Many people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. I used Just Natural Organic Potting Soil I got at Lowes.

When dirting a tank you should use Organic Potting Soil, not potting mixes or just potting soil that isn't organic. Many people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil. I used Just Natural Organic Potting Soil I got at Lowes.

Great! Thank you! I got some black sand for now. It's the closest I could get to the natural look I wanted. But now I will know next time! Thanks!

i used organic soil with about 4 natural ingredients in it. i think they were peat moss, dolomite......... and some other things i cant remember. so far its working great.

make sure when you set up the tank to SOAK THE DIRT and cap it with gravel or sand that is about the same depth as the dirt

Back
Top Bottom