Reason we're better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flchamp89

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im not trying to bash anyone. I dont know if this is against the rules. But im on several forums. Stocking is always an issue. My guess is half of a forums new members are looking for advice of sorts after their fish store failed to be honest or was just not educated themselves.

I think ill take a couple goldfish for my new 2.6g fluval spec iii.

What a tragedy. 20170127_102453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the person at my fish store said they had the same tank as me.... 22 litre.... and said they had a betta, Cory's, molly's and a plec.... a plec!!!!! now I know I'm new to fish keeping and have a lot still to lean but that screamed alarm bells even with me!

Bad advice I've received, only some of which I've taken:
· Rainbow sharks are good in a 29 gallon community
· That's a male guppy
· Green spotted puffers can live with nerites because they both have changing salinity preferences
· The only food you need is tetra color boost
· Treat all your new fish with [snake oil] and you don't need to quarantine
· Throw away your filter media every two months
· All water conditioners are pretty much the same

I was looking at the fish and notice three labeled wrong. The otto vs cae vs sae confusion lol

I've had about 50/50 luck. I've learned not to make impulse buys and read. But even then sometimes opinions are varied it is hard to figure out the way to go. Then trial by error or success. It's a crap shoot and just do the best we can and keep learning.

I've had about 50/50 luck. I've learned not to make impulse buys and read. But even then sometimes opinions are varied it is hard to figure out the way to go. Then trial by error or success. It's a crap shoot and just do the best we can and keep learning.
High five

Bad advice I've received, only some of which I've taken:
· Rainbow sharks are good in a 29 gallon community
· That's a male guppy
· Green spotted puffers can live with nerites because they both have changing salinity preferences
· The only food you need is tetra color boost
· Treat all your new fish with [snake oil] and you don't need to quarantine
· Throw away your filter media every two months
· All water conditioners are pretty much the same
what is snake oil?! ... and why would you be told to put it on fish!

Called LFS had like a 7 Mon Convo with a work at the LFS about a co2 reactor then he thought I was talking about a co2 regulator. The whole time .
That 2.5 is perfect for a Florida pleco

what is snake oil?! ... and why would you be told to put it on fish!
Any one of those "herbal" panacea made with a "proprietary blend" of ingredients. What's in it? Magic? You don't know! It cures ich, fin rot, parasites, lethargy, and the need to feed food! It increases color and shine! Your fish will grow thick, lush manes! They will be able to speak seven languages! All for the low, low price of....

Available at your fine fish selleries and pet stores around the world!

Any one of those "herbal" panacea made with a "proprietary blend" of ingredients. What's in it? Magic? You don't know! It cures ich, fin rot, parasites, lethargy, and the need to feed food! It increases color and shine! Your fish will grow thick, lush manes! They will be able to speak seven languages! All for the low, low price of....

Available at your fine fish selleries and pet stores around the world!
sounds like the miracle cure!

Im not trying to bash anyone. I dont know if this is against the rules. But im on several forums. Stocking is always an issue. My guess is half of a forums new members are looking for advice of sorts after thier fish store failed to be honest or was just not educated themselves.

I think ill take a couple goldfish for my new 2.6g fluval spec iii.

What a tragedy. View attachment 293948

What's the problem??I have the same tank setup with an adult galapagos turtle in it! He looks happy..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have called out Fluval on it. They did say they wanted to make changes in the packaging. But that was maybe couple years ago... the cardboard in the tank in the first pic looks pretty new. Maybe that was better than before.

When at the MACNA convention I mentioned the type of fish on the box for the size tank, and the guy must have heard it before becasue he said it was for display purposes. And that stores should assist new people with stocking options

And if we're better we should kindly and empathetically let the companies know they should do their part to picture appropriate fish for the for ever home. Like companies wouldn't put an adult Great Dane in a picture for a 20lb dog crate (would they?) At least I don't think they would.

Just like people who care how animals are treated, even fish (not getting flushed down the toilet when somebody has to move), we should take an extra minute to not only complain but to share valid concerns in a polite, courteous, professional manner to effect change.

A company is one thing because they should know better, a entry level employee, or an employee with entry level knowledge about the fish, is differenct because they do not always know all that much about fish, but may know lots about other store things.

So my challenge on this topic is to be the change in a caring way. Kindness goes a long way.

They removed swords as well, that are generally considered best housed in a 20G or larger. Appears they did listen.

I was at Petco getting my betta, I also wanted to add a few ghost shrimp. The employee who walked over asked what setup I was going to keep them in and then he saw the betta I was holding. He said, (Exact quote) "You can't keep ghost shrimp with a betta because the shrimp are tropical and need a heater but bettas CAN'T have a heater and are room temperature fish." I went to PetSmart instead to get my shrimp. [emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom