reasons for flashing besides ich??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I noticed that my guppies have started flashing, yet I have looked and looked and dont see any white salt crystal type things on them.... could it be somethign else causing ich?

water parameters are all good
amonia zero, ph 8.2 (always been that high) nitrite zero, and nitrate, 10-20

temp 78 ish. tanks been established for years... I clean gravel regularily, and do pwc's faithfully....

??

Swings in PH and high nitrates are causes but from reading your other threads that's not likely. I've had fish flash from using different water conditioners as well, another reason why Prime is favorite conditioner. Or the other thing is external parasites, I don't remember if they were any new additions recently? Otherwise a round or two of Metrozoidale may be in order, I recommend Jungles Parasite Clear or Metro+ by Hikari. Parasite Clear is sold only at Walmart around here and Metro+ is only sold at larger LFS.

My cichlids do it for no reason at all. Sometimes I think they are just showing off or its a part of mating....

Swings in PH and high nitrates are causes but from reading your other threads that's not likely. I've had fish flash from using different water conditioners as well, another reason why Prime is favorite conditioner. Or the other thing is external parasites, I don't remember if they were any new additions recently? Otherwise a round or two of Metrozoidale may be in order, I recommend Jungles Parasite Clear or Metro+ by Hikari. Parasite Clear is sold only at Walmart around here and Metro+ is only sold at larger LFS.

Thanks for your reply. I have recently purchased prime and have been alternating it with my stress coat until its gone... could this be a problem? Yes I do have new additions in the guppy tank and was thinking a possible parasite as well... thanks for that info I will look for someting in the city when i go in later today :)

My cichlids do it for no reason at all. Sometimes I think they are just showing off or its a part of mating....

I agree, sometimes they just do for that reason, but its getting to be too much for that to be the cause... :)

Velvet is another disease that will cause fish to flash. You want to try to find the reason for the flashing.

thanks all, im going to have to researched those and see what seems to fit best, they "look" completely normal, just flashing...

Ok I just researched velvet, and nope not it.... I also looked up gill flukes, I dont "think" thats it.... there doest appear to be anything wrong with them, besides the flashing... Some of them were breathing faster than others, but maybe they were moving quicker, i didnt sit and watch too long... No-one is hanging out at the top or anything, there eating, and swiming around... Im thinking parasite....

Back
Top Bottom