Rebuild 40 breeder softy/LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
However I was thinking Chiton originally..

Nudibranch- also crossed my mind.

*hoping this isn't what is decimating my corals.

Have you added coral or LR recently?
A "coral eating " nudi usually looks like the coral it eats.
I had a nudi that looked like GSP(and killed them all)!

Have you added coral or LR recently?
A "coral eating " nudi usually looks like the coral it eats.
I had a nudi that looked like GSP(and killed them all)!

Nope nothing added recently. I suppose the search continues...!

Might be a nudi or some other type of sea slug. Is it flat? Smooth looking? Hard to tell in the photo. Could it be a type of flatworm? If you have had what looks to be coral getting eaten, I would probably remove it if I couldn't find out what it was. Heck, out could be an undiscovered species as little as we know about our own planet. ;)

Here's a debate topic... I'm really struggling with this LED. It seems so elementary, yet so complex in terms of acclimation, as these lights are very intense and I've roasted corals by accident.

Anyways, despite all the pros on LED's, I may revert back to T5 HO. I'm considering a 4 bulb 36" programmable fixture. I'd like to run 2 actinic and 2 purple plus for a nice look.

I know everyone will say to stay with LED for cost, strength, etc... The cost of bulbs and the sort is worth my frustration at this point. That being said, does anyone still make a decent fixture?

I can't be the only one reverting back am I?

Tao's. White are lowest possible. Blues are 50%. Any higher on either and corals close up.

I miss the look of the T5...

Any higher the light goes completely all over the room... From the looks of the pic I may have hung it higher than 9"...

Yeah, looks higher than 9...hm...well I'm a tad baffled. You're sure it's the lighting? Have you tried putting new coral in the sandbed on the sides and moving them in before up?

Yea I've acclimated everything like that. I had to ramp back the blues to about 10% at 1 point and start all over. It's frustrating to say the least.

Hm...odd. It sounds like the same issue Carey went through with her Taos. She ditched it back to T5HO. It is a sad case not to be able to diagnose the issue at hand, but these LEDs penetrate water very effectively compared to bulbs. If it is a move you want to make then I'd jump back into your comfort zone...just too bad you had to waste money on the route current before discovering the issue at hand.

Ehhh it is what it is. We all learn in this hobby and I'm always happy to improve, even if it means stepping back with technology... I'll hang onto the Tao in case I get a bigger tank, and maybe I'll have better luck with it.

That makes no sense to me, you should be able to dial the Taos in, they aren't that strong. But each to their own!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whelp just had a nice conversation with my LFS regarding LED and T5... I'm going to be ordering in the AquaticLife 36" 4 bulb with moonlight, programmable fixture. It will set me back about $350. I'm not really too concerned with the cost factor. I've been doing a lot of hunting around online and it seems like even systems with LED are still being complimented with T5's... It's my opinion and how I feel, but I think it will be a better choice for my tank.

Whelp just had a nice conversation with my LFS regarding LED and T5... I'm going to be ordering in the AquaticLife 36" 4 bulb with moonlight, programmable fixture. It will set me back about $350. I'm not really too concerned with the cost factor. I've been doing a lot of hunting around online and it seems like even systems with LED are still being complimented with T5's... It's my opinion and how I feel, but I think it will be a better choice for my tank.
I used an AquaticLife 36" 2 bulb T5 ho before I switched to my LEDS. Had good results with it.

Back
Top Bottom