Recharging Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i just wanted to get some measurements.. I am currently recharging my Purigen in bleach..It will be ready at 4pm(tomorrow) Irish time. I just wanted to know from people who recharge it, when i want to dechlorinate it, what is the exact ml per cup of water. Also what is regarded as a cup, 300ml??. I know it says 2 tablespoons per cup. I have googled it and for a tablespoon i have got between 10ml and 20ml. I know this seems a bit stupid but Prime is fairly expensive in Ireland. It works out about 20euro($27) per 250ml bottle, Purigen 15euro($20) per 100g bag..I don't want to waste or under dechlorinate the Purigen either..Any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated....Thanks, Ian

Wow, that's really expensive compared to here. Could you fit your purigen in one cup of water? Then use the recommended amount of Prime? I usually do mine in 2 cups. But I do two packets at once.

15ml=1 tablespoon, 237 ml = 1 cup (usually rounded to 240)

Those are the conversions that all the medical people over here use. I've never regenereated purgen, so hopefully someone with experience can chime in as well.

Wow, that's really expensive compared to here. Could you fit your purigen in one cup of water? Then use the recommended amount of Prime? I usually do mine in 2 cups. But I do two packets at once.
Hey Hholly, i was actually just thinking that this morning!!!. I usually use a basin, which requires more water>more Prime..I'll try a large water measuring jug instead..Everything that's not the 'norm' is expensive over here. We only have small(compared to yours) lfs, no big retailers. I have to get equipment i need online and that involves postage, which bumps the price up!!!!...Thanks for your reply...

15ml=1 tablespoon, 237 ml = 1 cup (usually rounded to 240)

Those are the conversions that all the medical people over here use. I've never regenereated purgen, so hopefully someone with experience can chime in as well.
Cheers Sambo, i was going to use 20ml, but i'll use 15ml. I thought the cup was 300ml, but it depends on which site you check. I believe Seachem are American(??), so i'll go with your measurements, which would be better for me!!!...Thanks

Ian086 said:
Hey Hholly, i was actually just thinking that this morning!!!. I usually use a basin, which requires more water>more Prime..I'll try a large water measuring jug instead..Everything that's not the 'norm' is expensive over here. We only have small(compared to yours) lfs, no big retailers. I have to get equipment i need online and that involves postage, which bumps the price up!!!!...Thanks for your reply...

Not sure if you have it over there, but Amazon.com sells all kinds of supplies including Prime. It's way cheaper than LFS, here.

Not sure if you have it over there, but Amazon.com sells all kinds of supplies including Prime. It's way cheaper than LFS, here.
Yeah we have, i can order from that but again the shipping is the killer. Like $25 for the 500ml and that's just the shipping!!. I can use Ebay Ireland, or Ebay uk but the price is larger, lower shipping..Just works out the same:(:(. You guys are so lucky with the choice's you have!!!!!. My sister used to live in America, i wish she still did!!!.The search continues...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom