Recomendation for "Quiet" canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to add a canister filter to my established 30 gallon setup at my workplace. I really need it to be as quiet or simular in noise level to my HOB filter. I am adding some new fish to the tank as it finished its cycle a few weeks ago, and just want to be sure I have GOOD filtration, as I plan on taking the tank to right at 30 inches of fish when grown.

I have used both Enhiem and Fluval in the past, and I really have no preferance to which one I use for this tank.

Thanks!

I think any cannister will be quieter than a HOB, no waterfall on the return. I use Eheims and Fluvals I like them both.

Rena FilStar xP series I guess...
I never used them, but I have read many reviews of them.

I have both the XP2 and XP3, and the only time you can hear them is if you put your ear next to the canister. They are super quiet, and excellent filters, IMO. Of course, I'm an XP freak due to such easy maintenance. I can do a full maintenance on my XP3 in under 5 minutes and have it back up and running. And no leaks, or water splatter anywhere. :)

I have 2 XP3s as well...very quiet and easy to deal with.

Lonewolf, what's your 5 minute maintenance procedure? And how often?

Thanks.

Once a month, or sooner if the flow slows down.

I just unplug, remove hoses from canister, and take canister to the sink, only 4 feet away.
Pop the top off, remove baskets, quickly rinse sponges in the canister water and put back into the basket, then empty the canister in the sink and rinse. Rinse floss under the sink, and place back into the basket, and put everything back into the canister, top on, hook up hoses, prime, and plug in.

Since I don't usually have a lot of build-up, it goes quick. I timed myself one time at just under 5 minutes.

I use a fluval 400 and a Aqua One CF1000 for my 120G.

The Aqua One is completely silent form the start.
The Fluval can have some noise for a couple of days after maintenace until it settles down.

After a couple of days both are completely silent.

The only noise you hear with the XP's is the blowing out of the remaining air pockets after priming. Once the air is out, it's silent.

Lone, do you have buildup in your intake and outflow tubes? I bought a 2 ft. brush the other day with the intention of cleaning them but haven't done it yet. May not unless it becomes a problem with flowrate, etc.

The first time I cleaned my XP3s I made the mistake of using tap water on all the mechanical media and had some issues with bacterial blooming in the following days. Now I always remember to rinse in the tank water. They are certainly quick and fairly painless to deal with!

Very little buildup at all. When I did an overhaul on my 75G a few weeks back, I ran a brush through all the tubes. There was very little buildup at all. Occasionally I'll take the spraybar off and clean it out, but not very often. The XP3 had run over a year before I cleaned it out, and it really didn't need it.

My tubes are pretty brown from what I can see from the outside, but like I say, I'm not worried about it until (or if) it begins depositing waste back into the tank. I agree with you, I'm keeping more of an eye out on the build up in the spray bars but that shouldn't be much of an issue either given the amount of pressure being returned into the tank.

Thanks!

Yes, it does get a little brown on the inside, but with the flow rate, it doesn't build up that much. If it starts to build up too much, chunks break off and get blown into the filter or out into the tank. If you took your tubes off and looked inside, you'll see that the buildup is less than 1/8" thick. That's how mine was after running for over a year.

Now if you were running the filter on a slower flow rate via the valve on the output for reduced flow, it may build up more, and possibly to the point of plugging. But at full flow rate, shouldn't be a problem at all.

Actually, you probably won't see anything come out unless you are watching 24/7. Also, the stuff that comes out doesn't hurt anything, and I've seen my fish eat it when stuf was spit out of the spraybar during priming. What does come out is very minimal, and I don't even pay any attention to it.

davidtcb1 said:
Gotcha...they should make the tubes black so you don't see all that! haha

Actually I have read reviews that state the clear tubing being a negative aspect to the XP system. I have 2 XP1's and 1 XP3, all of which have some buildup in the tubing that you can see. oh well :?

I just ordered an Eheim 2217 from drsfostersmith.com for 101.99 (XP3 is 99.99). its sitting on my front porch right now as a matter of fact...I cant compare the 2 but I can say from all the research that ive done, both are excellent choices and you wont be dissapointed with either. I will post some findings on the eheim...

I do have a $5 off coupon for drsfostersmith.com that i would be willing to share if anyone wants, just PM me.

Mike

I use the Magnum 350. I have heard others on this forum say they do not like this type of filter, but I have had nothing but success with it.

I set up the 2217 last night, and aside from directions that were not the easiest to follow, it is done, and it is SILENT. with an AC500 and the Eheim, my tank is very clean and very quiet.

I would reccomend it if silence is what you are after. maintenance and longevity I cant comment on, yet :)

Back
Top Bottom