Recommend A New Filter Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musicfreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
As of right now I have a Penguin Bio-Wheel 200, from Marineland. After my switch to sand about 4 to 5 months ago my filter started acting up, I started cleaning it religiously and about two month ago started working great. Then a few weeks ago my propeller broke. I have been able to fix it with some super glue but I know it won't hold forever, I have 35-40 gallon tank from some cichlids in it.

I have looked on Marineland's website and the only part they do not have for my filter is of course the part I need. I would love to keep the filter but if I can't find the part I am going to have to get a new one. I have been looking at the Aquaclear filters as a next replacement. If anyone has any recommendations that would be great, also some tricks of how to keep sand out of the filter also would be awesome.

Thank You!!

Use a prefilter sponge and that should help keep the sand out of it.

The filter I have used and worked the best with fine sand was the Aqueon HOB, I have tried a walmart cheapie and it didn't last but a week and also a Maineland one started rattling and only lasted a few months.

Also I have a AC 110 now on a different tank (sand is a little more coarse/heavy) and a prefilter and it has been fine since the beginning of the year.

I usually unplug the filter when I am pouring water in, adjusting the decor, etc. Just remember to plug it back in!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have learned to keep mine unplugged. This is my first time using sand, over the years I always used gravel so defiantly a learning experience. Thankfully I've never forgotten to turn my filter back on.

Interesting, I've never messed around much with a canister filter. I never knew they existed till earlier this year when I got into the hobby seriously instead of not knowing the true way of doing things.

This is a sweet filter but is expensive!! It is huge as well. What size tank do you have?

It is a 72G Oceanic bowfront. It was a sweet DEAL! Tank, Oceanic stand, Water changer, half the substrate, decorations, chemicals and everything to go with it including the FX-5

($200 for everything! Got it for half the original price being asked on CL)

60074-albums11380-picture57008.jpg

Water was low in pic for my Fiddler Crab and my Mystery snail egg pods...

Have you looked here for parts. Aquarium Filters & Filtration: Marineland H.O.T. Magnum Replacement Parts Seems a shame to do away with a filter if all it needs is the impellar. I recently bought an Aqueon Quietflow Filter from that site because it was so cheap. I was really surprised by it. I like my Aquaclear filter but the aqueon does a surprising job of keeping the tank it is in clean. The only real problem is that you cannot adjust the flow. Other than that it works great and is quiet.

Back
Top Bottom