recommend a soft/silk artificial floating plant for betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrFantastic74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A while back, I had only a school of neon tetras in my 11 gallon tank. I coated the top with really nice realistic looking plastic bamboo leaves which provided some cover for the fish to make them feel more comfortable. It worked great, as the fish no longer hid among the decor at the bottom and came out to play in the mid levels. Plus, the fake bamboo looked cool with the leaves hanging down off the surface.

After some time, I decided to get a betta. I removed the plastic bamboo from the tank so as not to harm the betta's delicate fins. The bamboo leaves aren't particularly sharp, but I didn't want to chance it. The betta was happy enough, but I wanted the neon tetras to remain comfortable, especially with a new big tough betta in there with them, so I coated the top of the tank with some live floating plants, Salvinia natans.

Everything was wonderful and all fish were happy for a long time, but then the floating plants stared deteriorating (after thriving for the first few weeks). After some help from awesome people on this forum, it seems that the plants lack nutrients and I should be fertilizing. In all honesty, I don't want to have to deal with plant maintenance anymore, especially having to mess with a bunch of fertilizers just to maintain a top layer floating plant.

I want to go back to the floating bamboo leaf scenario, except not necessarily bamboo. Zero maintenance and a nice look is key. I need to find soft artificial plants or leaves that will not hurt my betta's fins. I saw some silk flowering lilypads online, but I can't tell if the actual leaf (pad) is silk or plastic.

Has anyone found or used a soft artificial floating plant that they can recommend for betta?

I've picked up a soft plastic leaf for the betta here. There are some fake plants with a harder edge in the tank but overall the plastic is still fairly soft and he seems to have no trouble with them. I can't make actual suggestions but no date I've had no trouble with plastic plants.

I've also seen a floating lily pad decoration, and the leaf itself almost feels like a type of foam (it's very soft, not a worry for the betta)!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom