Recommend THE beginner book on freshwater aquaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plainswalker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
For saltwater aquaria, the consensus I've heard is "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". Is there a similar consensus for a representative beginner/reference book on FW systems?

I also recommend The Aquarium Fish Handbook. Its a great encyclopedia of fish with very detailed pictures and has almost every fish you are likely to find at your local fish store with very few exceptions. Plus for every fish it lists ease of keeping, tank size necessary, size fish will obtain in wild & captivity, temp, strata, compatability, behavior, and feeding advice. Good book to take to the store when your looking to buy new fish.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-3607380-1122439?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

There's a brand new TFH book called The Encyclopedia of Exotic Tropical Fishes by Glenn Axelrod and Brian Scott. It has an excellent section on fishkeeping and an extensive picture guide to most of the more commonly available fish and many of those less commonly available as well. Expensive....but worth the price.

-Joe

The Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums (Simple Guide to...)
by David E. Boruchowitz
as recommended by talloulou is a terrific beginners book. I just bought it and found it to be very useful, informative, and an all round enjoyable read :roll: (but I AM a nerd :lol: ) The only real draw back I have found is that he does not discuss starting your aquarium without fish (i.e., fishless cycling). None-the-less I would highly recommend it from one newbie to another!
HTH

"The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" by David Boruchowitz is the one book that I would recommend to anyone starting out in freshwater tanks. It was the first tropical fish book I ever purchased and I still refer to it occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom