recommendations for a cleanup crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DRoy1124

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey, i have a 12 gal aquapod, with pretty much algae.

I absolutly no idea which clean up crew i should buy. Can people post with some recommondations and maybe the price of each. Thanks.

If you are having algae problems evaluate your water source and feeding first. A normal clean-up crew consists of various reef hermits and snails, to control day-to-day detritus and minor algae. If you are experiencing an algae outbreak there is not really a clean-up crew to help. How old is the tank? What type of algae? What source water do you use?

tank is about 3 weeks old, brown algae, but now starting to see purple spots on glass (possibly coarline algae?), and i used tap water with de-chlor (mistake :-( )

Thanks

Given the age, it is most likely diatoms which are completely normal. May be a bit ealry for coraline. Don't worry about the tap water for now. In the start up phase it is not too important, although it can feed algae (like you are seeing). From here on out, see if you can get your hands on a good quality RO/DI water to help you out. Good luck!

if you can deal with it for another week or two. You could add a turbo snail when your tank is finished cycling. They will clean up the diatom bloom.

Back
Top Bottom