Recommended power centers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased the Coralife Aqualight Pro 48" light fixture. Can anyone recommend a power center for this fixture other than the Coralife Power Center/Wavemaker? I've heard some horror stories about the Coralife Power Center malfunctioning and causing fires, etc. :?

Are there any power outlet strips that are specifically for aquarium use other than the Coralife? I ask this question because ALL of the power strips I see in the stores (WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's) are NOT designed for aquarium use and state that on their packaging.

Oh, one more question. My Coralife light fixture has 2 150Watt 10K metal halides. I mounted the light fixture on the provided legs, which raises it up approximately 3 inches from the top of the aquarium. Here's my question: Will the metal halides melt the egg crate that I have placed on top of the aquarium?

im using normal power strips for all my stuff on my 150 gallon, i just have them all mounted underneath and off the ground incase of a massive flood. I dont really see a problem as long as you dont get saltwater on them. In the event you do get saltwater on/in them, it has the potential to start a fire, yes.

Go to a computer supply store (Staples, CompUSA) and buy a grounded power strip for a computer! This is what I use and love it ... the outlets are arranged better and gives you more space for the big bulky plugs!
Best of all it's grounded ... no power surges! You can go one step further by installing a GFCI outlet in the wall where you plug in the strip!

Don't use the coralife power center/wave maker... they've been proven to fail and burn. Even mine smoked up, and if I wasn't there, it would've gone up in flames!!! 8O

Just my .02. I wired my own with GFCI outlets.

You can go one step further by installing a GFCI outlet in the wall where you plug in the strip!

I currently have a GFCI wall outlet and 3 power strips (not sure if they are all surge protectors or not) plugged into the GFCI outlet. I guess the only thing I have left to do is to mount all the strips off the floor.

Can anyone answer my melting eggcrates question in my original post? (See above)

Back
Top Bottom