Recommended Root Tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DownDogKate

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What root tabs do you like?

My first experience with tabs really turned me off (and has this ever happened to anyone else?)

I popped a tab out of the package and plunged my hand into my 36g to place it under the gravel for my swords - but before I even reached the bottom of the tank, the tab had dissolved. What is that about? :confused:

I have been reluctant to buy more because I feel like I wasted money before and I don't want to get suckered again. BUT my swords need this...

So... what brand works for you? Any and all help is appreciated

All root tabs will disolve pretty fast. That's the nature of the beast. However they should stay intact long enough to put into the substrate. May I suggest trying Peabody Paradise's "Ru" tabs. He makes them himself and are a litle cheaper than the API or Flourish tabs. IMO they last a little longer and are a little higher in iron. Good Luck, OS.

I use Seachem's Flourish tabs (Seachem. Flourish Tabs).

They were recommded to me at my LFS and they're great. My experience with them has been awesome, no pre-mature dissolving and the results are truly amazing. I have Amazon Sword, Bronze Wendtti, and other roots feeders, and this really helped them thrive in my tank.

So check out the link, as it gives the chemical breakdown, description, directions for use, etc.

Hope this helps!

The peabodys paradise tabs are very highly recommended. Personally however I make my own root tabs. They are absurdly cheap and extremely effective plus they last 2 - 3 months.

You can use either Osmocote +, Red bottle of dynamite, or like what I use is a 50/50 mix of osmocote flower and vegetable and miracle grow tomato fruit and vegetable.

You stick the ferts in a size 00 gel capsule that you can buy either online or in a local health food store and then place it down into the very bottom of your substrate under the plants. They will produce bit of ammonia so you definitely want to make sure to bury them deeply but I have never had a problem with an ammonia spike in either of my 2 planted tanks. Total cost for them is approximately 2.6 cents each.

For quite a while I was using the flourish root tabs for my plants and my amazon sword maxed out at about 9 inches high. After adding those DIY root tabs I was seeing noticeable growth in it within 3 days and a little over a month later it had grown to 19 inches tall.

Thanks to each of you for the great advice! It's a good feeling to know I can come here and get quality help. I'll be looking into all these options, and my swords thank you too :)

Back
Top Bottom