Recommended Size for a Growing Out Tank Bristilenose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davekyn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
It seems I need to organize a dedicated Growing out Tank for the continuing broods of bristlenose. I was using my 2 1/2 foot tank, but has now ended up with a few other species in it for a tank of its own.

The bristle nose wont stop comming so I figure I may as well try growing a large batch up to a saleable size. Have many of you guys had any luck swapping a healthy batch of fish at your local fish shop for somthing else?
I cant imagine getting rid of them anyway else. I wonder if the Newspaper would work?

Anyways, are there any experianced people out there who could advise on the size of a Growing Out Tank and the conditions needed to raise a large batch of bristle-nose to a saleable size.

Thankyou

I hear ya Davekyn. Growing out fry of most takes more dedication then getting them to spawn. I've been spawning dwarf bristlenos plecos for a few years now. Here are some tips.

Bear in mind that rate of growth is very slow. It takes 9 months for them to be fully grown and the rate of dwarfism is fairly high.

1. A pH over 7 must be maintained. The fry will often stop eating and starve to death in acidic water.

2. They are omnivores and require food high in protein to grow. So you should include any high quality flake food along with fresh veggies and algae wafers when you feed.

I grow them out in a barebottom 55 gallon. The tank contains some driftwood and java fern. These guys are little poop machines and a bare bottom tank makes it easy to siphon. Keeping your tank and filters as clean as you can improves rate of growth and health of the fish. I use 3 sponge filters and a Penguin 300 HOB with a sponge pre filter.

This species always seems to be in demand but rarely does one see adults in an lfs. I think it's because although they readily spawm, they are tough to grow out. Therefore, they should command a high price at over 2 inches.

HTH

Thankyou very much,
That info is well recieved. Now i understand the price tag on these fellows. I Always wondered about that. On my next trip to the fishshop Ill get a pH test kit for sure. I just got my self a 3foot tank and will use it for the challange ahead.

By bare bottom I take you mean mean no gravel? (still learning:)
I was given internal bio filter...It has a power head on one side and a sponge on the other.
Do you think I could use gravle with that system or should I just put it aside and use the 1200lph powerhead filter I have put away?
I,ll get some driftwood and java fern no probs.

Thanks again for the info,
I,m looking forward to the challange

Yes, by barebottom I mean nothing at all. A few good sponge filters are you really need. If you do use an HOB, make sure no fry can be taken in by utilizing a proper sponge prefilter.

The reason I like sponge filters in my spawning and grow out tanks is because they are ideal for biofiltration and easily cleaned by rinsing in a bucket full of tank water. If you're siphoning the bottom daily, you are also doing enough pwcs.

BrianNY said:
I hear ya Davekyn. Growing out fry of most takes more dedication then getting them to spawn. I've been spawning dwarf bristlenos plecos for a few years now. Here are some tips.

Bear in mind that rate of growth is very slow. It takes 9 months for them to be fully grown and the rate of dwarfism is fairly high.

1. A pH over 7 must be maintained. The fry will often stop eating and starve to death in acidic water.

2. They are omnivores and require food high in protein to grow. So you should include any high quality flake food along with fresh veggies and algae wafers when you feed.

I grow them out in a barebottom 55 gallon. The tank contains some driftwood and java fern. These guys are little poop machines and a bare bottom tank makes it easy to siphon. Keeping your tank and filters as clean as you can improves rate of growth and health of the fish. I use 3 sponge filters and a Penguin 300 HOB with a sponge pre filter.

This species always seems to be in demand but rarely does one see adults in an lfs. I think it's because although they readily spawm, they are tough to grow out. Therefore, they should command a high price at over 2 inches.

HTH

If BN Plecos start to breed, and the ph is originally 7.2, but driven down to 6.5 via CO2, will that affect the fry? Or would it be the original ph that counts, and not the driven down ph?

The pH is what it is, so the end point of the water is where your fish are living.

I'm reluctant to say the BNs suffer or don't do well in a pH under 7. It has been my experience that they will not spawn in that condition, and where water in the grow out tank has a falling pH, I tended to get significant die offs of fry and extremely low rates of growth.

Interesting guys,

Mt tank is full of wood and without a PH testing kit, I,m guessing its got a low PH.

The tank builder I deal with, whole heartedly says he is telling the truth when he quotes his britlenose suppliers and having to use a torch to see through the black water they are using to locate the little guys for moving.

If I leave the eggs alone in my tank, I will see the babys out and about weeks later. If I dont take them out and just leave them there; there numbers do seem to drop signifcantly. Its been 2 months since Ive watched a number of broods come and go. Some I have moved into a smaller tank which I know has a higher PH and althoguh some die I,ll get more of a survival rate than if I leave them in the main tank.

Obviously the guys working out of the Tin shed using black water have somthing else up there sleve. Must be some kind of secret so I,ll keep searching the Net.

No doubt about it, they are indeed hard to raise! I am happy to get a few survive at all, in fact I count myself lucky that I can pass a few around to my friends. Its been fun learning:)

Back
Top Bottom