Recommended Testing Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rin2809

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When we initially set up our new 20 gallon tank, we brought the water in to get tested. Now I am realizing that I should really be keeping up and doing regular testing if I can at home (a duh moment for me).

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced kit or individual strips that would be good for beginner home water testing? Also, I know that Ammonia and pH levels are important to test, but what else should I be looking for? How often do you test?

Thanks!

When we initially set up our new 20 gallon tank, we brought the water in to get tested. Now I am realizing that I should really be keeping up and doing regular testing if I can at home (a duh moment for me).

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced kit or individual strips that would be good for beginner home water testing? Also, I know that Ammonia and pH levels are important to test, but what else should I be looking for? How often do you test?

Thanks!

The API master kit is a good place to start. They are accurate enough for freshwater and contains what you will need for cycling and water changes. pH, nitrite, ammonia, nitrate.
If you move to a planted tank with more than medium light I would add KH test and a Phosphate test and possibly a TDS meter but none of these extra tests are required to run a successful beginner tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 on the API Master Kit. Usually less expensive on Amazon compared to stores.

Again, API freshwater master test kit is a great starting point.
Don't waste your money on test strips even though they look cheaper, the API liquid test kit lasts a long time, are easier to read and more accurate.
Do follow the instructions to the letter, especially the nitrate test.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Agree with what's said. There is more accurate testers like Res Sea etc but for the best "bang for your buck" the API Kit is just fine.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom