Recovering a failed tank - need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwduaNM

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to recoup a failed tank. It was in very poor condition. Lots of algae, mineral build up, etc. No surviving fish.

The filter has been running along just fine however.

I'm looking for advice as to whether I've done anything wrong thus far in the recovery, as well as what I need to do differently compared to a fresh start.

Steps taken:
Removed all water
Removed all decor, gravel
Rinsed gravel
Scrubbed decor with brush and hot water (no chemicals)
Removed mineral build up on most components by scrubbing with a little white vinegar
Scrapped the rest, soaked the worst components in water/vinegar mixture. Then rinsed thoroughly
I've refilled the tank. Have not used any chemicals yet. I have very hard water.
Filter is running again using the same media

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good, complete clean and start again. Question might be what did the fish die of. If general stuff - no worries, if some nasty infection - might need further treatment.

Also if the filter might still be cycled.

The fish died from neglect - lack of feeding and lack of water changes.

The filter ran constantly.

How will I know if it's still cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could add some ammonia and see if it is processed to nitrates. Do you have something like the API freshwater master test kit at all?

My sister restarts hers quite a bit and seems to be fine, the bacteria recover quickly.

I just ordered some ammonia. I will test using the API test kit for a couple days to see if it is still cycled.

Thank you!

Good news! My tank is still cycled. I'm working on getting the pH balanced. It was around 7.8 which is abnormally high. Once it's balanced I will add some fish!

Back
Top Bottom