Recovering an old aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wvlf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an older and unused 20 gallon aquarium that has fallen into a state of disrepair. I'm looking to recover it and clean it up for use in my home office. It has some serious deposits (lime?) as well as hardened/dried on algae/slime that flakes off like paper.

My questions to the community are:
1. Should I just scrap it and buy another tank?
2. If I keep it and decide to clean it up..what's the best way to clean it? What kind of solutions are ok for use (previously always thought everything was potentially toxic for freshwaster fish).

Thanks in advance.

Like Mebbid, I recommend vinegar and an algae scuff pad that you would use for aquariums.

Some people use razor blades, but I don't like the idea. Only takes a minor slip and you can cut or puncture a silicon seal. Then you have a much bigger repair job.

Speaking of which, give the tank a quick clean then fill it with water and check for drips, leaks or pin hole water sprays before you get too far into it.

Like Mebbid, I recommend vinegar and an algae scuff pad that you would use for aquariums.

Some people use razor blades, but I don't like the idea. Only takes a minor slip and you can cut or puncture a silicon seal. Then you have a much bigger repair job.

Speaking of which, give the tank a quick clean then fill it with water and check for drips, leaks or pin hole water sprays before you get too far into it.

I've used a razorblade for years and have never had an issue with it. Most effective way to remove hard deposits. I keep a pack of them by my aquariums

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've used a razorblade for years and have never had an issue with it. Most effective way to remove hard deposits. I keep a pack of them by my aquariums

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
+1 i even use them to clean off the calcium based algae in my saltwater tank.

Thanks for the responses. I completely forgot about vinegar. The razor blade idea is good too...and thanks for reminder on seals. I'll scrape away from corners and edges to avoid that issue.

Back
Top Bottom