Red algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManicPenguin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a bunch of red algae growing on the glass of my tank. I can't get it off. I am sure I could bleach it off, but it is a huge production to move the fisha nd bleach everything, then rinse it off.

I have a magnet glass cleaner, but it won't touch the red algae...it is almost like the glass is stained.

how do I get it off?

A picture would be very helpful so identification can be made. Is it hard and flat or fuzzy in tufts? Hard algae can be carefully scraped off glass (not acrylic) with a razor blade or the edge of a credit card. Tufted algae depending on the type can be spot treated. But once identification of the algae is made suggestions on how to fix the problem causing it can be discussed. One thing you can do right now is turn lighting down to 6 hours a day until the algae is gone.

I just got the tank 2 days ago and it has the algae on it when i got it. I have been keeping the lights off except for a couple hours in the evening when i want to see the fish.

I will post pictures later. For now....

The algae looks like flat, round spots ranging from .25" to over 2". No tufts.

If I understand you correctly, the algae will go away on its own if adequately deprived of light? Is that correct?

It sounds like you bought a reef tank that has coralline algae growing on the tank glass. If this is the case you are going to have to do some serious razor blade removal.

Back
Top Bottom